Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lots more raising from the BB when I was planning on calling anyway vs a button/CO steal will . . .
+EV when used occasionally, unless you're an idiot. 2 16.67%
Likely +EV, but your postflop play must be good! Be careful. 3 25.00%
Very marginal. If you're very good postflop you might squeeze a little +EV out of it. 5 41.67%
-EV unless you're a pro (in which case why are you asking us our opinions?) 2 16.67%
-EV, period. Call or fold. 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Chasing flush draws

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t900)
UTG+2 (t855)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t725)
CO (t790)
Button (t745)
SB (t785)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t55.

Flop: (t325) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t325</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t755 (All-In)</font>, Hero .....
Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Chasing flush draws

I think you should raise more preflop, and yes I would make this call.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 AM

I think this is straighfoward, you are drawing to overcards &amp; the nut flush.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:07 PM

overcards are likely not good, unless he hits runners. He's drawing to a flush, a running straight or running two pair or set (which may not be good if they get their).

You have to put one of these guys on a set or two pair.

Degen
Old 04-01-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have to put one of these guys on a set or two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was played on a weeknight, this is utterly false. On a weekday, it might ring more true, but I still call here. You'll see top pair here often.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:10 PM

i like to think in this hand i have 11.5 outs. with 11.5 outs and a chance to triple up, i guess i should throw my money in there. and dont ask how i got to 11.5, its my gorilla math. holla
Old 03-31-2005, 01:59 AM

Why did you check the flop? Bet something like 200-225 next time and be very happy that they pushed so you could call it.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just a rare situation. And furthermore, it was 3 handed. My plan was to check-raise.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just a rare situation. And furthermore, it was 3 handed. My plan was to check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/raise might have been fine in other situations but consider the information you already have about the hand. Person in front of you raised, you re-raised, with 1 caller behind you. Original raiser checked thinking you'd bet it, you checked it hoping to check/raise and then... oops... cold-caller has to now actually have a real hand to make a bet. If they missed they'd check it behind. Make a continuation bet like you'd always do, and then you'd call the all-in after some thought.

You know actually after I think about the hand now in these circumstances, I'd be real worried about my overcards if they really are clean outs. If you knew anything about the play of the 2 opponents I'd be more likely to fold this now unless given proper pot odds to chase if you checked, but if it were against unknowns I'd be more willing to call.

Edit: Since they're both going to be all-in anyways on this hand I'd call no matter who I'd be up against and pray for the flush without even worrying about the overcards. Call them insurance.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My plan was to check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the check-raise is that there's just too much money in the pot compared to your stacks. If MP2 bets the pot and UTG2 calls, you can push, but nobody is going to fold any kind of hand.

If UTG2 had just called and you pushed, there would be about 1700 in the pot and they'd only have to call about 400 more after you push.

Even if UTG2 had folded, MP2 isn't going to fold AT or JJ to your checkraise.

If you had simply pushed instead of checking, now AT/JJ has to make a decision. I'm sure someone is going to say "no one on party will fold those hands". I disagree. I play party, and I would fold them.

You reraised pre-flop. If you push the flop, they have to put you on AA/KK. They might even have to lay down QQ here.

Going back to your original question. I supposed I'd call here and pray that UTG2 has QQ. I've gone back and forth a few times in my mind. AA/KK/TT are strong possibilities. I'd guess MP2 has JJ, maybe TT/99...ugh...maybe I should go back to limit holdem, my head hurts.

edit: He had QQ? Whew. This is easier after you know the opponent's cards.