Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: A Gentle Request

Good for you Cris,

After all we have Zoo (internet forum) and News, Views, and Gossip forums for confrontations.

At Tourn Forum and hopefully this one, we decimate, massacre, chew up, spit out, and stomp one another's opinions in a very considerate, literate, and genteel manner.

Doc
Old 01-28-2004, 10:50 AM

I agree with Cris here. Attack the problem not the person. If someone makes a post that you think is stupid, or someone's play was stupid then provide constructive criticism that will help that person keep from making further mistakes. Like Kurn, I don't want people to pull punches when I make a blatant mistake (and have the courage to post it here), but there is a fine line between directness and being downright insulting.

If I may be so bold, there have been two threads on this forum that illustrate this point. Kurn's and Cris's response to wannabe's line about bs cards, and SaltCrackas response to PrayingMantis in the "are the sets worth it" thread. Kurn and Cris's remarks could be seen as insulting, perhaps, but I felt they were made in the spirit of letting a new poster know he's not going to get away with too much loose talk here. I don't have that much of a problem with that. If I make a post that just seems downright stupid, call me on it. SaltCracka came out and called PrayingMantis stupid for even comtemplating the worth of sets. That's uncalled for. The thread turned out to be a popular one, and I think folks learned from it. There was no need to make a personal attack on Praying Mantis. And if you don't like the thread...pass it by.

Good post, Cris, you dumb ****. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! This is an English only forum! Don't make me call the floor! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 PM

Hi Cris, triplc and all,

I think this one is going to be great forum. And what makes a great form are the posters, who are able to critisize, analyze, and be completely honest about each other's hands, tactics, strategy, bankroll-size, early play, late play, bubble play, tightness, looseness, aggressiveness, passiveness, bad-beats, good-beats, and any other concepts, traits, or thoughts regarding this game. As others said in this thread before, I'll feel very bad if any of you, for any reason, will NOT tell me I played this or that hand COMPLETELY wrong, if that's what you think (I probably DID play it wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

However, there's a thick line between being highly critical, and being insolent. There are people who just can not tell between these two. I hope they'll find this forum too stupid, sh***y and dumb for their top-notch poker capabilities.

Remember, the best way to learn is the way you would teach your best friend (It's not me, it's Mary Jane Gill. Found it on the net [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Who is she, anyway? Probably never been to RGP)

PrayingMantis
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 PM

I like the post Cris, although I thought it was funny you said not to point fingers and then the next poster did just that. anyways.... if everyone thinks I am rude or what not because of what I said to PrayingMantis I will apologize right now, for the record I was mostly f*in' with him, I gave him my advice shortly after.

By what I see most people, myself included want a forum where we can discuss 1( or 2) table tourneys, and get good advice. This is probably where I will be spending most of my time because these tourneys are the ones I play mostly. So if you still don't like me or don't accept my apology, fu [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 12:21 AM

Good point. I felt my post was semi-confrontational, yet loving and inviting. I will be much nicer to people who blantently insult me and where & how I play.

But then again ... what about my hidden motto .... "F##k em all!"
Old 01-29-2004, 12:45 AM

Hiya Salt,

No worries ... I pointed a finger at myself, too. Thanks for the apology and no problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris
Old 01-29-2004, 01:03 AM

and that's not confrontational?

What you meant was:

"F##k em all, unless they're 2+2ers and not at my table!"

Doc

Old 01-29-2004, 12:48 PM

I was a teacher in a former life, and just about every education class that I took said that the best way to learn something is to teach it yourself...

I'm right there with you PrayingMantis...

CCC