Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Monster Pot miss played

I was just hoping to limp in of course, but there was so much money in the pot. I thought there were people with high pockets that would pay me off if i made my set. I figured i had a 1/8 chance to hit my set, but the pot would end up being atleast $45.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (28.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 34.50 BB
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Monster Pot miss played

I hate this check-coldcall check-3bet line you've adopted on the first two streets. Just lead the darn flop and keep firing from there.

Given your turn play, I'm not betting this river. I think MP2 has either JJ or AA, with AA being more likely since he didn't cap the flop.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM

pf isn't that bad because you're right, you have huge implied odds here. I don't like to limp UTG ever, and I never like calling 2 cold, but if I were to do either, it would be in a situation like this.

cap the flop. If you're up against a set, you'll lose money. More likely you're looking at an overpair or AJ, maybe 2 pair. Go nuts. I like leading here better than going for a check raise, because the field probably isn't going anywhere, and you have a better chance of getting 3 or 4 bets in.

three betting the turn is good, as that ace very well could have given someone top two pair. It's obviously dangerous, because the A could have made a set, given the pf action.

I like the action on the river, although SB's calling 2 cold should worry us. The pot is too big to lay down here.

in summary, pf is questionable but not horrible, cap the flop, turn and river are ok. You didn't butcher it nearly as badly as you thought, IMHO. Set vs. Set sucks
Old 06-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Why not cap the flop? You hit your set. I think that is the worst turn card you could see. MP2 must have had the AA or AJ?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM

Unless the table is just super passive, limping UTG with 44 is a bad idea.

Your implied odds are cut down significantly by a raise and you have no idea if it is going to be multiway pot or not.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 PM

i dont know why you would check/call that flop, there is no reason to.
it does look like he has rockets