Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 PM

Default ? @ Atlantapokerclub.com/kickasspoker.com

Hey all,
I tried posting in the "general" forum (to no avail), I wasn't really sure where to put this - B&M, MTT, Home; so I am trying here. (please forgive the double post).

Due to the following Greenville newspaper article, folks in the upstate are rethinking about how we go about our 5 to 10 table, floating, NLHE MTTs.

I am hoping to get some info on how this group, atlantapokerclub.com, does what they do, which appears to be - hosting series/leagues of small(?medium?) NLHE MTTs at local bars and restaurants, out in the open, for all to see. The bars apparently benefit from the extra traffic.

Perusing their website, they mention planning on getting an APC player into the WSoP next year. If they mean sponsoring his entry, then that imlpies the $ have to come from somewhere. However, from the following Atlanta newspaper article, it sounds like they are truly just playing for "play" points, which accumulate to the season championship.

(1) One of my main lines of interest is - are the really just playing for "points", or is it just a euphemism for "buy-in's / prizes"?

(2) If it truly is just for points, where does the level of play fall on the continuum between the goofy play seen in online play money rooms, vs online real money rooms?

and (3) Is it just a trophy at the end of the season? or what?

Georgia law on gambling does not seem that different from S.C.'s

My long-term (pie in the sky) goal is to hopefully bring poker more into the open, here in the buckle of the bible belt. This would be my small contribution to eventually reverse both poker's general acceptance by the populace at large, and more importantly, in the legislature's eyes.

My short term goal is to find a way to somehow make our games somewhat less likely to get busted in the future.

If anyone has any experience with this set-up with kickasspoker.com or atlantapokerclub.com, any posts here would be appreciated. Even more, PM's with more detailed info would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
doc
Old 08-20-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: ? @ Atlantapokerclub.com/kickasspoker.com

I'm sure the bar pays the group a fee to run these tourneys in their bars (to bring in traffic as you said).

So, maybe they're "raking" their income and using that portion to pay for the WSOP fee?

This is all a guess
Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: ? @ Atlantapokerclub.com/kickasspoker.com

I played at one of their events last month, and what was described is correct. This was an 'almost free roll' at a Hooters in Gwinnett, and you paid $10 for a food-stamp that was worth $10 at that Hooters location, but the tourney itself was free. Top 3 won Hooters gift certificates, hats, etc.

Obviously, Hooters must be giving some share of their take to kickasspoker.com, and this finances the entries.

I briefly describe it in my blog in July 2005.