Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: The Family Guy

Take TSC and pshreck and you've got it all. Its one of those shows that you can't explain, but don't really have to. Brian, Peter, and Stewey are funny just whenever they do something pretty much.

I don't remember the order of the episodes tonight - they were reruns, new ones are in March - but the one where they taped the Griffins for 6 months was pretty funny all the way through I thought. Just might be one of those shows that isn't for everybody, but wow...not one laugh?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 AM

I loved Seinfeld, Family Guy is nothing like Seinfeld.

To me, Family Guy has very predictable and cliched characters. I don't see how them just talking would be funny.

Then there's the lameass one liners making fun of celebrities that no one cares about. Those make me want to vomit.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 AM

The first show of the new season starts May 1st.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:52 AM

The "random scenes" they do can be some of the funniest stuff you'll ever see. Here's one thing that was funny tonight, for starters. When Joe falls off the sled with his son and gets up and starts to walk, and then his son cripples him again. Family Guy's blatant disregard for politcally correctness is very on point and very funny.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved Seinfeld, Family Guy is nothing like Seinfeld.

To me, Family Guy has very predictable and cliched characters. I don't see how them just talking would be funny.

Then there's the lameass one liners making fun of celebrities that no one cares about. Those make me want to vomit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seinfeld's characters are incredibly predictable. That is why the shows are similar... throw random every day situations into a handful of characters that are hilarious/ridiculous, and you have a great show. Doesn't matter if the characters aren't even remotely dynamic.

I love both and I think I like them both for similar reasons.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 AM

Seinfeld also had predictable characters. It was the situations they got into, and their responses to them, that made it funny.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seinfeld also had predictable characters. It was the situations they got into, and their responses to them, that made it funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to disagree. Think about some of the episodes. I literally think the writers just go "how absurd is the social taboo of picking your nose? Lets go with it!". From there, the show 'writes itself' being that the characters are incapable of dealing with any small situation in a normal manner.

I'm not claiming there was no writing... Im claiming all the writing essentially was character responses, and that the situations themselves only seemed funny because of the characters.

I would say the exact same thing goes for Family Guy. If you don't find the Fam Guy characters funny, then the situations certainly aren't gonna do it for ya.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:21 AM

it's ok if someone doesn't find it funny. you guys are all retards. so this guy doesn't find the show funny, big deal. i think the show is funny, but not drop dead hilarious. people are into different stuff.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's ok if someone doesn't find it funny. you guys are all retards. so this guy doesn't find the show funny, big deal. i think the show is funny, but not drop dead hilarious. people are into different stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his first post, it's asking why we think it's funny.

And it is a big deal.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 AM

Subtle humour, randomness, mixed in with some moments that are just [censored] hilarious.