Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Help Me Cook My Steak!

[ QUOTE ]
Go get a nice sirloin ro rib-eye and then grill it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the answer. Buy a grill while you're out getting an actual steak.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't know how to pan fry or microwave? Please videotape this and post a link.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default My Favorite Steak Recipe

Utter simplicity, but indescribably delicious.

First, get a nice thick NY Strip or Porterhouse: at least 1 inch thick.

Next, build the hottest fire you can. I like to use natural lump charcoal since it burns hotter than briquets.

Go get your wife or girlfriend's hairdryer and have it ready. Oil the grill grate with a piece of excess fat and put the steak on the grill. Turn the hairdryer on high and use it as a bellows. The fire gets much hotter this way, resulting in a nice crusty steak.

Grill for 3.5-4 minutes per side (less if the steak is on the thin side). Add kosher salt and white pepper to the done side after flipping the steak.

Put the steak on a platter and douse it in good olive oil. Let the steak rest for about 3 minutes (the hardest part!) and eat.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rub meat w/ sea salt and black pepper. Pan sear in 1tbsp. butter and 1tbsp. olive oil over med-high heat. Time depends on desired doneness and thickness of meat, but try about two minutes on each side for med-rare, and go up from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of points:

You have a thin steak. Make sure the pan is preheated *very* well. This will allow you to sear the outside and allow the inside to stay somewhat pink and tender. You really only want to hit this very briefly on each side over high heat.

After cooking, put the steak on a plate under foil (to keep in the heat), and let it stand for at least 5 minutes. If you cut into it right away the juices will flow out of it, if you let it stand, it gives the steak time to reabsorb those juices, making for a juicier/tastier steak.

The suggestion of cooking this staek in butter or oil is not a bad one, but it may be better to rub the outside of the steak in a butter/salt/pepper mixture, and that should give you enough fat to cook it in. Remember, this is a sear, not a fry in oil situation.

If you like it rare, don't be afraid if it's red in the middle. Unlike ground beef, steak is ok as long as you sear the outside, killing the germs (there won't be harmful germs inside, as there can be with ground beef). Technically there are exceptions to this, but only nits will worry to that extent.

Get some red wine.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't eat chuck for a steak...it's really not marbled enough to be tender without stewing.

As for the potato, poke some holes in it with a fork, then microwave for 10-15 minutes. This is 1/4 of the time it takes to actually bake one, and it takes exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start it in the microwave, then finish it in the oven for a crisp skin.

And yeah, ribeyes rule.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't eat chuck for a steak...it's really not marbled enough to be tender without stewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beef chuck can be salvaged if you marinate it for a healthy while (I use a mix of lemon juice, oil, various vinegars and lots of different spices). Doing this makes the chuck much more tender and juicy, even though it is pretty mediocre meat to begin with. When it comes down to cooking it I agree that thin is better, esp. when it comes to inferior cuts of meat. Searing it for a few minutes on each side is usually enough to get it medium rare-ish, and cooking it much more than that will definitely toughen the meat significantly.

Swede
Old 06-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, but I've already finish pan frying with the original poster's instructions. I sprinkled some salt and used a generous amount of pepper (I like pepper) then threw it into the frying pan. I already melted the butter and olive oil in the pan. I cooked each side briefly and when it looked done placed it onto a plate. Added some lettuce, a slice of tamato, onions, and A1 to top it off. Tastes so gooooood. Oh crap I forgot the patato. Thanks guys, I'll try grilling next time.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and A1 to top it off. Tastes so gooooood.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make the baby Jesus cry.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and A1 to top it off. Tastes so gooooood.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make the baby Jesus cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a chuck steak. A1 is the right play.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Not really. It's not like he bought some filets and drowned them in A-1. Beef Chunk needs some help, definitely.

Swede