Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 02:13 AM

Default B&M Vs online

assumption
1)at any given limit there are more fish at a B&M than online
2) BB/hand ratio would be bigger for a strictly B&M player

because there are more fish, the pots are bigger but there are more suckouts so i assume variance would increase (is this right?) what about bankroll considerations does one form need a bigger bankroll then the other?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Re: B&M Vs online

1)In my experience this seems to be true. 5-10 live plays like .50/1 online and 5-10 online is much tougher than it's live companion.

2) I believe you are correct sir.

I usually have 30 BB's at the table for each.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 AM

i mean your entire bankroll not just at the table
Old 12-07-2004, 04:30 AM

wow seriously how could you believe that they would be more fish at b&m have you ever been to one. I mean the internet has more fish then the ocean. 15-30 online is like 2-4 game.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow seriously how could you believe that they would be more fish at b&m have you ever been to one. I mean the internet has more fish then the ocean. 15-30 online is like 2-4 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ever play a 2/4 game? I haven't played the 15/30, but 3/6 online is much tougher than it's live counterpart.

Justin A
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 AM

I play 5-10 B&M 3 days a week. It is much looser than the 5-10 at Paradise poker. I don't know about Party poker though.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum you have taken the first step out of the poker darkness[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One reason the live games play looser at the same limits than the online games is due to the structure of the rooms. Online the lowest limit is $0.01-$0.02, I don’t remember where but it’s out there. Let’s take party for example. Their lowest limit is $0.50-$1.00 then $1-2, $2-4, $3-6 etc. so the $2-4 limit is the 3rd level up in the structure. If you look at a live room, I’ll take Canterbury because that’s what I know, the lowest limit is $2-4, I think some places in California have $1-2 but I’m not sure. In a live game the $2-4 limit is the 1st level in the structure. Therefore the players of $0.50-$1.00 online are forced to play at least $2-4 or more, making the play of the two levels drastically different.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 AM

I have played in every limit both live and online from 50 cent one dollar to 15/30 and the truth is peopel go online because they are embarassed of their poker skills. This is one of the main reasons that online poker came to be.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:15 AM

It is true it is less embarasing to play poorly online than it is live. I dissagree that being allowed to play poorly is a reason people would sign up online. I think more often it has to do with convenience, lack of intimidation by regulars at the card club, theres nobody to laugh at you when you dont know how to get into a game online, and availibility. If online is your only option for play with strangers, thats probably a bigger factor than the desire to play poorly.

Where do you play live? I would like to avoid it at all costs if your evaluations are true that the online game is looser than the B&M game at the same limits.