Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2001, 10:23 PM

Default I\'m not a forecaster update

Today, Trent Lott came up with the idea of lowering the capital gains tax, apperently to consolidate the Republicans' reputation for being the party of the billionaire.

To control the damage, another Republican senator floated the idea of a temporary reduction in the social security tax, which makes a lot of sense. It is a hideously regressive tax that comes off the first dollar of income. A person making $8 million a year pays the same dollar amount in social security taxes as a person making $80,000 a year, or, in other words, one one-hundredth of the percentage of his income that the person makings $80,000 pays.

Unwilling to accept the political benefits of Lott's blunder, the brilliant Tom Daschle suggested that the Democrats shouldn't feel any necessity to make constructive suggestions on improving the economy since Bush was to blame for all the problems anyway. No sense trying to help people when you can blame someone else for the problem. He also apparently feels Bush used his pail and shovel in the sandbox without his permission.

Doesn't now appear that my previous statement that I will never vote for another Democrat for any national office was quite as dumb as it sounded. Had I added the words "or Republican" after Democrat it would have been perfect.