Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 08:33 AM

Default At what age is it to late to go to college?

I know technically you can go at any age, but is there a point where you think it's just too late?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: At what age is it to late to go to college?

never. learning is good.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:43 AM

I'll go with never, too.

By the way, the older people I've seen in classes generally tend to do very well, or at least as good as the average student at worst. They're paying their own money to be there, not going out and getting drunk every night or trying to score chicks, etc. They're only there because they want to be, make a GREAT deal of sacrifice in their adult lives to be there quite often, and make darn sure they get the most out of it.

One of my mom's favorite Ann Landers columns was one where someone asked her the same question and said, when I get out of school in five years or whatever it was, I'll be 55 years old! And she replied, How old will you be in five years if you DON'T go to school?

Gotta go for it, you only live once.

My mom went back to school after 40 after having had only a high school education in Germany and then pretty shortly after that just being a housewife for a couple of decades. She wound up getting her masters degree, even with a bunch of kids to take care of, and had excellent grades.

You can do it if you really want to, and there's a good chance you'll do it even better than many college kids, because you're there because it means something to you, not because you're supposed to be or because Dad is paying for it and you have no idea what else you'd be doing anyway.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:08 PM

ive had adults in many of my classes. the only thing that gets on my nerves is when they are constantly talking to the prof and acting like they are all buddy-buddy just because they are both older.
[ QUOTE ]
but is there a point where you think it's just too late?

[/ QUOTE ]
as long as you can physically take care of yourself i think its fine. (can get to the classroom even if its on the 4th floor, dont [censored] you pants in class, etc.)
Old 11-21-2004, 02:00 PM

The only thing that gets on my nerves with older students is if there is group work for the class. If they work full time, it's much harder logistically than a group of full time students. This is fine in a class where the students choose the groups, but with instructor chosen groups, it can be a real pain.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:13 PM

easy answer, never.

Just don't be the pompuos old guy who thinks he knows everything. I had a stats class that had about 6-7 adults in it, you know people over 30. One of the ladies in class felt she needed to explain to the whole class how to use Excel, and in particular, how to copy and paste. I [censored] you not, most of the class laughed at her.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that gets on my nerves with older students is if there is group work for the class. If they work full time, it's much harder logistically than a group of full time students.

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to College in my late 30's. I found that most older students went at night. I had a couple of people in their 60's at night clases. My few day classes were mostly the 18-21 variety.

While we are discriminating about old people getting on your nerves, you are young and have barely contributed to society yet. The world doesn't revolve around the young. And the elder deal with the young's immature bullsheet all the time. In fact, we have invested much time and energy so that the young can be spoiled, and they usually don't appreciated it at all. I know that my kids are going to be surprised when I die and they see the will.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:27 PM

100, cuase i mean c'mon, your gonna die in like a few minutes, when will you get the chance to use your new knowledge?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100, cuase i mean c'mon, your gonna die in like a few minutes, when will you get the chance to use your new knowledge?

[/ QUOTE ]

The good news, atleast you won't have to pay back the student loans.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While we are discriminating about old people getting on your nerves, you are young and have barely contributed to society yet. The world doesn't revolve around the young. And the elder deal with the young's immature bullsheet all the time. In fact, we have invested much time and energy so that the young can be spoiled, and they usually don't appreciated it at all. I know that my kids are going to be surprised when I die and they see the will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to a certain extent, but note that there's an art to appreciating things, and it can be largely taught. If parents spoil their kids, which is pretty much the way things are done now, they have no one to blame but themselves if the kids come out unable to appreciate what's been done for them and exactly how spoiled they are. That's the whole process of what spoiling them is all about. So when parents say, "Why are kids such brats?," the answer is almost always staring right back in their face in the mirror.

And not acknowleding that is a parent's own version of being spoiled and spoiling himself.