Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Re: I won $2,752 with a $50 deposit

"If you think you dont almost totally suck now then you underestimate the complexity of hold em."

I only discussed about my skill level when I was just starting to play hold 'em. If you're assuming that I still 'totally suck' because it's been only 3 months since I started to play, then well... I guess you're not totally wrong.

However, I improved a lot since then. I might still 'totally suck' to your standard, but I don't think I'll lose money the way I lost it ever again.

I didn't know anything about pot odds, pre-flop strategy, and so forth. But now, I'm reading the Super System, Sklansky's books, and a couple others and they've been really helpful.

I don't underestimate the complexity. In fact, the complexity is what makes the game so interesting. At the same time, I'm not going to forget what happened to me in the beginning. But thanks for your comment.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Unlikely

Thanks for the calculation. These numbers are just amazing, even though they're hypothetical figures. So I guess winning a mere $2,752 wasn't THAT unlikely. Hmm...
Old 11-01-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Suggestion

Here is a suggestion. Never play a game where the big bet is larger than your current bankroll divided by 300. That way you will stay away from the higher stakes until you have earned enough at the lower stakes.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:56 AM

Default Re: I won $2,752 with a $50 deposit

i said ALMOST totally, not totally. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 03:41 AM

Default Congratulations!

I have been playing online for some time, about 2 years. I have a good feeling about some sites and not-so-good of one at others. At the end of last July my account at one site was down to $80. It was over $10,000 at the beginning of last month without adding any additional funds to it. I figured that I had a compounding growth rate of 5.6% per day. My normal game was $3-6 short-handed. I have been trying micro no-limit and my growth rate so far is about 50% per day. I can only hope that it stays there but, of course, it is a short-term thing.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: R U Really sure online poker is not rigged?

$100 billion? Oh...that would be a rigged game.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Suggestion

You gave some very sound advice. A bankroll of 300 BB is sufficient size. However, I prefer one of 400 BB for my "main game". I do not like to sit in a game where I have less than 150 BB (my calculated bankroll). I also have to have a good reason to sit in a game where my bankroll is tight.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:33 AM

Default Another suggestion.....

As a hobbist, I only move up when my bankroll is at least 1000 BB of that level. At this size, I can be unafraid of playing multiple tables nor making pure-bluff play on 4th street by guessing others' hole cards. Coushion develops boldness which sometimes helps in poker.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Another suggestion.....

1000BBs seems excessive. So you need 6K to play 3/6?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Another suggestion.....

1000BBs seems excessive. So you need 6K to play 3/6?

The 'problem' with the 300BB system is that although the covers the math side of things, it doesn't cover the emotional side.

Moving up and then losing 1/3rd of your roll at the new level can cause severe self-doubt in some people.

Lori