Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Funny Stud hand

We had a few people over for dinner the other day. One chap sees my impressive collection of poker books in my den and starts asking where I play etc. I tell him about the poker rooms in the city and also on the internet. He found it hard to believe that one could play for real dough on the net. So, I log on to Partypoker and tell him that I'll play a few hands to show him. He has never played hold 'em but was familiar with stud. I sit down in a 5-10 stud game to play a few hands (it was a 3 handed game). The last time I played stud was probably 1984 or something.

I get junk the first two hands and fold. Third hand, a 4 brings it in for 2 bucks. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I get rolled up aces. My buddy says "about time you got a hand"...lol

Of course, I just call and the guy behind me folds.

5th street: About the worst thing that can happen happens. My opponent catches a Queen and I get the 4th Ace. Quad rockets on 4th street. Swell.

I had no idea what to do. So, I checked. My opponent was probably laughing his head off at my check but who cares, he can't see the duffus he is playing.

5th street: he gets a King and I get a 3

Check/Check

My buddy, completely ignorant of the concept of slowplaying is shaking his head in disbelief because he thinks that I am checking 'cause I am not very confident of my hand.

6th street: He pairs his doorcard and I get another 3 for 2 pair showing. I finally bet and he folds.

My friend looks at me and says "you stink at this game man, what does it take for you to bet?" and goes back to the living room to regale the others about my lack of card sense.

Quad Aces on 4th street in my 3rd hand of stud in at least 20 years. There must be guys on this board who regularly play stud who have never had quad Aces by 4th street.

Just speaking academically, is there a right way to play this hand in this situation?