Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Default This type of hand

This type of hand occurs quite often for me early in the tournament. Should I have bet again on the river for value or did I misplay it all along? How do I get more out of it?

Dealt to xPun1sher [ Ah Th ]
patfish1 folds.
paladan2003 calls [15].
bankroll841 folds.
bkh2o folds.
morrys22 folds.
xPun1sher calls [15].
onkhh folds.
SpEedFReAAK calls [15].
youngj calls [5].
konturaki folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7s, 2s, Td ]
youngj checks.
paladan2003 checks.
xPun1sher bets [85].
SpEedFReAAK folds.
youngj folds.
paladan2003 calls [85].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7d ]
paladan2003 checks.
xPun1sher bets [100].
paladan2003 calls [100].
** Dealing River ** [ 8h ]
paladan2003 checks.
xPun1sher checks.
paladan2003 shows [ Ad, 6d ] a pair of sevens.
xPun1sher shows [ Ah, Th ] two pairs, tens and sevens.
xPun1sher wins 445 chips from the main pot with two pairs, tens and sevens.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: This type of hand

Fold PF.
Bet 100 on the river.
Use the converter.
Did you overbet the flop?
If so don't do this.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM

You say fold preflop but I find that in order to not turn the tourny into a luck fest when the blinds get high and your stacked I like to build my stack early, Ah 10h is by no means a bad hand, its a decent drawing hand that can pay off big early off if it hits and wow this is the biggest run on sentence I've ever seen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm going to go with the classic "You'll only be called if you're beaten on the river" here. The check behind is best, and I see nothing wrong with playing the hand this way. There might be a few "fold preflop" answers, but I think folding is overly weak-tight since, at least at the 22's, AQ+ usually raises preflop, leaving you in pretty good shape not to be dominated. What buy-in is this?

Slim
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 PM

A $109+9 haha, its not 22 but hey.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Fold preflop? If you feel like it. I usually do but I'm convinced I can play this type of hand for a profit if I do it right.

Flop overbet? You overbet slightly. Meh. Good enough, especially with a player behind who has to fold if you're to keep playing this hand.

River bet? No f*&%ing way. What losing hand would pay you?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:19 PM

My thoughts exactly, I thought if I bet the river the only hand that would call might be a low two pair ot be me or a hand dominating me would re-raise. I wasnt sure though. thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM

I didn't see the two spade flop.
F*ck it bet the river anyway.
I know the rationale for checking behind.
I also know that I can't remember the last time a Villain check called a monster the whole way with a two flush flop and then checked the river.
I'm almost positive you're not going to bluff raised here, so the $100 river bet is +EV if you stand to get called more often than Villain has a monster. What % of the time does Villain have a monster here? Whatever it is I'm positive he'll call with a worse hand more often than that.
People here love to call, even with nothing, so I'm value betting the river in nearly all cases. Give me a K river or something that will make Villain really not want to call an extra 100 with his low-mid PP and I'll check behind.

Honestly, people (not necessarily anyone in this thread) act like you're risking the whole pot by betting here. If you're not going to get bluff raised, the only thing you're risking is the river bet. If you're beat you're beat, whether you fold the river or get shown a better hand.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say fold preflop but I find that in order to not turn the tourny into a luck fest when the blinds get high and your stacked I like to build my stack early, Ah 10h is by no means a bad hand, its a decent drawing hand that can pay off big early off if it hits and wow this is the biggest run on sentence I've ever seen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the oposite view here. In my mind it is important to not waste chips early. AT is a trap hand that you can loose a bunch of chips with. How good do you think your hand is if there is an ace on the flop with 3-4 players seeing a flop? You easily wins a small pot when you have the best hand, and loose a bunch when you are second best.

For me this is an easy fold.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:29 PM

It's too early to fold ATs PF. Since the blinds are smaller, you can probably get enough callers to make the playing of that hand worthwhile. It's not like you're risking your entire stack on this hand this early.

Bet the river, just in case he was on a flush draw.

And bet larger on the turn. You gave him too good of odds to try for any card he wanted.