Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Bit Torrents

I used to use suprnova. it was great, but I had a friend (who originally told me about it) who said that I shouldn't use it because "they" were cracking down on it. is it safe to use these?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Bit Torrents

Suprnova bit the dust about a month ago. I use filelist.org, demonoid.com, and torrentspy.com now.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

are they safe to use? well, as safe as i2hub or DC++ or KaZaa ?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:48 AM

AFAIK, yes.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Just started using them. Kazaa messed up my computer evertime i got it and refuse to re-download it. Is it possible for these torrents to do the same? Are they covered in viruses?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 AM

As I understood it they are not as safe as kazza etc as it can see who is sharing/downloading the file as it uses each share to propogate the file onto each pc, so as you download its using your incomplete file to upload to others.

I have heard rumours that "they" could put out the file then datamine the ip of all those sharing and act upon it but I have no idea a if that is true and b if they are bothered about you downloading or more about those who regularlly leak/record movies and songs. I would have thought they would go after those either sharing lots or doing the ripping but they may make examples of more little people to try and kill it.

I use newsgroups as my preferred method of download handy for new films/albums etc but you are limited to what others post, I never found bitorrents particulary fast downloading so gave up on it.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM

I wouldn't say that any bittorrent sites are safe, your ip is available to to anyone that locates the tracker. I wouldn't recommend downloading anything that the RIAA or MPAA would be interested in over bittorrent.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:22 AM

This article may be of use, doenst look like the crackdown is as bad as I had thought

CNN on Filesharing
Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 AM

It also seems that exeem is the new p2p to use combines bit torrent and other stuff. Cydoor had been bundled in with it initially but has now been dropped on the latest beta version.

www.exeem.com
Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 AM

Yep. Exeem's the new sh!zzle.

They built an exeem lite since exeem had spyware, but then exeem removed the spyware...so now it's all good.

I've been hunting for poker vid's. Anyone have a bunch to share? Would be great to find the Poker Superstars Invitational..like someelse asked.