Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Default movie theatres suck right now

are there any good movies out right now? no not really. well maybe a little there is sin city but that is it in main stream theatres one good movie out of 15 shitty ones. then there is born into brothels which looks v. good but is only play in about 15 theathres in the country and upside of anger which andy fox suggested a while ago. overall it is pretty lame.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: movie theatres suck right now

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people (even many on this board) go to movies just for the sake of going to the movies. I wait for flicks that look relatively good, and hence I am not often at the theater.

I mean... a bunch of you paid money to go see Be Cool, and Fever Pitch. I don't get it.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:53 PM

By the Way---Born into Brothels was a huge, huge [censored] let-down. The women who made it took a fascinating, piercing, potentially very powerful premise, and slowly murdered it. Eventually we were left watching a movie about HER, not about the kids, about what SHE was doing, how HARD SHE was working, etc. etc. etc.

It was a big disappointment.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the Way---Born into Brothels was a huge, huge [censored] let-down. The women who made it took a fascinating, piercing, potentially very powerful premise, and slowly murdered it. Eventually we were left watching a movie about HER, not about the kids, about what SHE was doing, how HARD SHE was working, etc. etc. etc.

It was a big disappointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

87 out of 91 reviews (by professional movie reviewers) said this movie was very good. 96% on rotten tomatoes, the highest I have seen in years.

Not to say you cant have your own opinion, just giving other posters reason to still see it in case they were turned off it by your post.

damn that sucks inchoatehead. btw, i don't even know what good movies are coming out that i shoudl look forward to. although i've noticed that i don't even know about the good movies before they come out they don't get publicity like the really shitty movies do.

that's why i don't go to movies anymore. then again, i don't particularly enjoy spending $10 to see advertisements and listen to "I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW! I'M WATCHING A MOVIE! I'LL CALL YOU BACK LATER!!!"
Old 04-09-2005, 05:58 PM

It is difficult to criticize this movie for the same reasons it was hard to publicly criticize Schindler's List, which was also a greatly overrated film.

Born into Brothels starts by showing lots of stills from the camera's of the kids. Gradually it shifts to the woman belching into her cell-phone about how hard it is to find them schools. By all means, go see it for yourself, but I reserve my greatest disappointment for things with the most promise, and this is one of them.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:58 PM

yeah but watching a good movie is great.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:00 PM

I mean, I love watching even a mediocre movie, as long my expectations are low enough. There is something different about the theatre that is worth the loot to me. But yeah, right now is a dry patch.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Well, It\'s Actually The MOVIES That Suck...

..the theatres themselves are quite nice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm one who often goes to movies just to go, and other than Sin City & a couple of "independents" the last 2-3 months has been as bad as I can remember. I point blank absolutely refuse to go to stuff like BCool, FPitch, or Pacifier; won't even sneak in. Rather hang at the bookstore.

See if you can find a showing of the documentary "Inside Deep Throat". Very good.