Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: LA Restaurants

[ QUOTE ]
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for 2...I spend around $370 there just for myself, so doubling that starts to get pretty expensive. It's just as well for me that my girlfriend doesn't eat sushi.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a cheaper alternative, I am strongly looking at going to Sasabune on Sawtelle. I have always wanted to try that place and the reviews are nothing but positive.

DN
Old 05-03-2005, 04:07 PM

Grace on Beverly Blvd - My #1 restaurant in LA.

Traxx at Union Station downtown - Not a lot of people go here but the food is excellent and the ambience is very cool.

Blair's on Rowena in Los Feliz/Silverlake - Great food, owner was the chef at the Water Grill. Small place, cozy, GREAT for a date.

Patina at Disney Hall - Expensive and a little over-the-top with the "foodiness", but the food is consistently top-notch and if you like architecture and haven't been to Disney Hall, it's a great choice.

Melisse on Wilshire in Santa Monica - Maybe the best food in LA, extremely expensive and kind of stuffy.

I could go on and on, but these are my favorites this week. I can't stand Barefoot, byt the way.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: LA Restaurants *DELETED*

Post deleted by dsm
Old 05-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Pink's rules all. Maybe a quick stop at In N Out too.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's with out-of-towners and Pinks? I live across the street from this place and I've eaten there once and I was drunk and regret it. I never understand the 2 hour long wait for that food.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:18 PM

Definitely worth trying in that it's not a "big deal" type of place. I had sashimi and noodles the first time, both good, and the black cod the second time, which was great. My wife had since gone back for lunch and said her girfriends raved about the burgers and a bento box dessert tray.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's with out-of-towners and Pinks? I live across the street from this place and I've eaten there once and I was drunk and regret it. I never understand the 2 hour long wait for that food.

[/ QUOTE ]

OF COURSE you were drunk when you ate there, otherwise you would have had the sense to leave. That place is disgusting.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For a cheaper alternative, I am strongly looking at going to Sasabune on Sawtelle. I have always wanted to try that place and the reviews are nothing but positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to Sasabune a few times, and enjoyed it. Last time I think it cost $180 for 2 of us. Another alternative is Echigo, on Santa Monica Blvd. I find the quality to be about equal to Sasabune, but it's a bit cheaper, and much less crowded. At Sasabune, reservations are recommended, but there's never a wait at Echigo.

Both places are Omakase only at the bar (the only way to go, IMO), but you can order a la carte at the tables if you'd like.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating at Pink's is just short of a religious experience. Of course you're going to regret it after -- no one can suck down that much greasy chili without ending up feeling sick. You'll also regret it before, because as you pointed out, the line is terrible. But, for 5 glorious minutes while you're stuffing your face, it all seems worthwhile.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The food at Pink's does not come close to justifying the always-long line. It's an average hot dog and a heart attack waiting to happen. Top Dog in Berkeley rules! In-N-Out is still one of my favorite burger joints, I still eat it a few times a month.

DN