Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: At what point (HU) do you quit playing flops and focus on AI only?

[ QUOTE ]
SNG. You've gotten to heads-up against an opponent. The blinds just went up to X. At X, do you never call PF, do you only go AI or fold? What is X? Can there always be some play? Are there some hands you might just call with or just min-raise with? Does your opponent matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read a couple (possibly contradictory?) things. Not sure if any of this is right, and I'm certainly not an SNG pro, so read this as a skeptic and rip it up as you see fit. If this is worthless crap, please say so and why.

The first thing I've heard is that you should become more agressive as the difference between the two chipstacks grows, and more passive as they move closer to equal.

The other thing I've heard is that the best player in the world can only expect to win about 55% of the time starting with equal stacks against a monkey who pushes every hand.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:56 PM

I still follow the 10xBB rule heads up. If either one of us is below 10 big blinds, it's push or fold.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also take a look at poincaraux's An opponent-centric solution to the heads-up jam or fold problem.

The Shadow (who doesn't know the answer but figures that it's something like once the blinds get big enough or you think the villian is a better post-flop player than you)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I get some free time this weekend, I'm going take a couple of obvious next steps with this. The most obvious one: do a weighted average over all possible opponent hands and see if jam-or-fold on the button is profitable or not vs. various opponent strategies. There are some obvious steps after that as well. We'll see if they work out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Usually in the $215's, it is HU around the 6th level. I push every hand I play.

Jcardshark
Old 05-06-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds just went up to X. At X, do you never call PF, do you only go AI or fold? What is X?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When discussing HU games, as the blinds increase to greater than 5% of the total tournament chips, the AI or fold can be an effective strategy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm applying the 10bb rule incorrectly, but I'm playing roughly after that headsup as well. So with equal stacks I'm only pushing from level 8 and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if tournament chips represents t8000, level 8 blinds are 250/500, then 500/8000 = 6.25% of the total tournament chips. If you apply t10,000, then it's 5%. I'm sure we're saying the same thing. My point is, for me, this is when I begin to consider push or fold mode (unless stacksizes are grossly uneven earlier of course).
Old 05-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Yeah we sure are. Took 10k chips for granted, that might be where I lost you.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 PM

If my stack is 8BBs or bigger, I may raise less than all in.
I also trap a lot. Many opponents only have one move--all in. So I let them "force me off" of weak hands. Then I call one with any A, K, or pair, and very often take it down.

Sabre170
Old 05-06-2005, 06:53 PM

When either player has 10xBB or less.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 PM

My thoughts:

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent will let you see a flop without reraising (unless you're trapping), then I will complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Assuming you have a reasonable stack, I like to see a lot of flops. HU, based on reads to this point, any piece of the flop is important.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the best strategy is dependent on the situation which includes, relative stack sizes, blinds, and opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Short stacked, I tend to go AI more often - again, based on reads status of the blinds etc. When chip leader, hand selection to an AI bet of 25% of your stack shouldn't be taken lightly.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, there is no one answer to this. But the most important factor is your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the bottom line. Plus experience. I have often played 60-100 hands HU in an SnG. I am a single table player for the most part and I learn a lot in the longer HU bouts.

Nice post Scuba.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys. Linking this thread for the boys over at MTT.

Thanks,
CSC