Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 01:33 AM

Default The Flat Tax

Official 1994 Freedom and Restoration Act Proposal for a Flat Tax in the United States:

The Pro’s to the Flat Tax

- Lowering of tax evasion… it’s pretty obvious corporations in the U.S. and many people paying taxes evade high tax rates by any means. For example, if the top rate is 50%, you pay 50 cents on every dollar. If it’s only 13%, you only save 13 cents, greatly eliminating the risk for evaders
- More stable revenues. A progressive tax system provides rollercoaster revenues for the government. When times are bad, revenues fall. When they are good, they rise. A flat tax stabilizes this. Even when taxes have been raised, under Carter and Bush Sr. to try and bring down the budget deficit, it skyrocketed (only the Democratic congress pumped up spending during the Reagan years that he wanted to cut)
- The current tax system penalizes work (social security taxes, sales taxes, Medicaid/Care, progressive tax on higher incomes (redistribution of wealth), penalizes saving, investing, and entrepreneurship
- Simply the flat tax creates less tax evasion, increased incentives to work, save, and invest

Proposed in U.S. Congress:

- No family of four earning less then $33,299 would pay taxes at all, over this, they would pay 17% of there income to the government
- All you would fill out is a postcard sized form… no deductions, no loopholes, no special tax breaks, no schedules – just a straight uncomplicated tax
- You would get rid of 480 different tax forms in the U.S. – as well as the 280 forms that explain to you how to fill out the 480 forms
- Savings of $232 Billion in man hours (5.4 billion work hours – the same amount of work hours to produce every van, truck and car in the U.S. in 1994)
- $900 saving for every man, woman, and child in America
- The tax is pro-growth… and it’s fair. Everyone is treated the same!!
- Why are savings rates so low? We tax when someone earns a dollar and then again when it produces a return (investing)
- The flat tax wipes out this perverse bias against saving; savings will rise, the nation’s pool of capital will grow, workers will be better equipped and trained, and output will expand, leading to bigger paychecks
- Elimination of capital gains and dividend taxes for investors
- If you also are an adult or married couple supporting children, there is a family allowance, that exempts you from paying a single penny up to the median wage level
- Capital helps us all. It keeps interest rates low, and that's good for homebuyers, students, and workers
- This applies for all business as well: Simply fill out a postcard, and your done
- This would also start a skyrocketing in hiring. Tax relief makes employees more valuable to businesses. This makes it profitable to hire more workers, most notably lower-skilled workers, in manufacturing and blue collared work in particular. Many people also choose not to work because the direct costs of working exceed the benefits. Tax reform would alter that tradeoff by reducing the tax penalty on employment

I'm just going to paste my notes I jotted down from the summary of the bill proposal. I am a Republican, and I would love to see a flat tax be introduced. It would enter us into a new era of prosperity.

Think about it, no more tax loopholes. Everyone keeps more of there money. The corporations and more wealthier people would actually begin to pay taxes again instead of hiring accountants to take advantage of offshoring loopholes. No more outsourcing of American jobs without companies truly paying the price for it either...

Revenues would rise from the flat tax overall steadily, and create more capital. No longer would there be punishment to take your hard earned money and re-invest it. Poor people in fact, wouldn't even pay one cent of tax under the average income. Families would receive allowances.

I hope the progressive tax system is yesteryear in this country. I'm sick and tired of having the tax system tied to economic growth. History has shown when taxes are cut, the economy booms, and when they are raised -- we never meet the projected revenues expected by raising percentages.

Wouldn't it be nice if corporations and high income citizens funneled there tax dollars back into the country that made them or would you rather have them shovel it off into the Cayman Islands?

Discuss please... and please, let's hope a Flat Tax is passed into law while the Republicans have the majority!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: The Flat Tax

God not this again.

F the flat tax. It's even worse than the proposed national retail sales tax. REGRESSIVE TAX.

Instead of hoping for this to pass, I will instead hope that you one day see the light.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God not this again.

F the flat tax. It's even worse than the proposed national retail sales tax. REGRESSIVE TAX.

Instead of hoping for this to pass, I will instead hope that you one day see the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd rather have the progressive tax system, with all of the current loopholes that high income citizens and corporations shovel there money off overseas?

You do know the middle class pays overwhelmingly the majority of the income tax Uncle Sam receives every year. Wouldn't it be nice if in our big 12 Trillion Dollar economy, the money we provide for there profits went back to OUR government, not stored offshore somewhere?

Wouldn't it be nice if the tax loopholes that are sending average to high income American jobs overseas in the sector we revolutionized, the tech industry, were CLOSED completely?

What's actually happening is the current tax system is the middle class are taking the burden, not the rich. It's cheaper for the rich to shovel money overseas then pay it to the IRS.

And what's wrong with having the useless IRS be reduced from 480 forms to 1 sized postcard? What was ever wrong with government efficiency?

This should be perfect evidence of liberals claiming to help who they are actually again have hurted the most over the last 50 years.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 AM

I'm sorry that I hurted so many people. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God not this again.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd rather have the progressive tax system, with all of the current loopholes that high income citizens and corporations shovel there money off overseas?

You do know the middle class pays overwhelmingly the majority of the income tax Uncle Sam receives every year. Wouldn't it be nice if in our big 12 Trillion Dollar economy, the money we provide for there profits went back to OUR government, not stored offshore somewhere?

Wouldn't it be nice if the tax loopholes that are sending average to high income American jobs overseas in the sector we revolutionized, the tech industry, were CLOSED completely?

What's actually happening is the current tax system is the middle class are taking the burden, not the rich. It's cheaper for the rich to shovel money overseas then pay it to the IRS.

And what's wrong with having the useless IRS be reduced from 480 forms to 1 sized postcard? What was ever wrong with government efficiency?

This should be perfect evidence of liberals claiming to help who they are actually again have hurted the most over the last 50 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, you simply cannot argue the fact that our country, which is 31% of world GDP as of a Fortune article I read last issue with Steve Jobs on the cover (the highest it's ever been in world history) would be able to increase unheard of capital by incorporating the flat tax.

All of the middle class would have more money in there pockets. Increased competition from capital in our already competitive society keeps inflation and interest rates low.

And revenues WOULD RISE, immeaditely. Again, why must the middle class pay the majority of taxes in this country?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:42 AM

You're a fool if you think the middle class pays the majority of the taxes.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Are you one of the old donks under a new alias? Or did you just register here and decide to regurgitate tired old arguments, long to death, reconstituted and rehashed and vanquished again. Play with search. Then kill yourself.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God not this again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, you simply cannot argue the fact that our country, which is 31% of world GDP as of a Fortune article I read last issue with Steve Jobs on the cover (the highest it's ever been in world history) would be able to increase unheard of capital by incorporating the flat tax.

All of the middle class would have more money in there pockets. Increased competition from capital in our already competitive society keeps inflation and interest rates low.

And revenues WOULD RISE, immeaditely. Again, why must the middle class pay the majority of taxes in this country? After all, the rich are rich. Instead of Tommy the rich executive who makes 1 million dollars a year using loopholes through accountants he hires to shovel his money off and evade, he pays $170,000 to the government. And Rick, the truck driver, who makes $46,000 a year, instead of a 33% tax rate (I believe that is the current rate) paying $15,180 to the government, keeps $7360.00!! more. Do you realize how much money that is for every single individual laying in the middle of the U.S. Bell Curve?

Gee, that's tanks of gas for two cars a year even at $3.00 a gallon, groceries for the year, some home improvement projects, and a vacation. Or hell, $7360 that can go right to the stock market or mutual fund.

Not only is Rick the truck driver making more, Tommy the rich guy actually pays his share to the government. How does the middle class get hurt by actually paying there fair share for once, not bearing the burden?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that was just lame as [censored].

I'm actually a new Two Plus Two forum poster, but thank you for the kind words, appreciate it.