Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM

Default UTG+1 98s raise

Hey Everyone,

Here is a hand that I wanted to get everyones thoughts on. I think maybe every street can be debated so here goes.

It is from an online 3-6 game. The game is not really loose but not really overly tight either. 3-4 seeing the flop usually unraised. Not exactly a fantastic game but if 2 players on the wait list will get into the game it should improve greatly. I haven't played a SINGLE hand out of the blinds since I've sat down (4 orbits).

I get dealt 98 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 's UTG+1 and raise. This is the only playable hand I've seen so far. I wanna see if anyone is paying any attention in the game as well as see exactly happens with an EP raise here.

Next person cold calls, and next three bets. (oops, I guess wrong time to play my hand). All folded around back to me and I don't think a reraise will get it HU so I call. In between guy calls.

From here I won't give too much of my thought but just the action that happened:

Flop comes 963r......it gets checked around.

Turn [963r] 5r...... check, check PF 3 bettor bets I checkraise, man in the middle cold calls, PF 3bettor folds.

River is [9635]2 I bet and get called

Thoughts?

Allan
Old 05-07-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: UTG+1 98s raise

and I don't think a reraise will get it HU so I call.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to reraise here because your hand is 3rd best. Since the game isn't overly loose, I wouldn't call in your position. Since it's not overly tight, I wouldn't raise in your position. Fold preflop and wait for better position to play this hand. Getting desperate to "make" something happen is only going to bleed chips.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:57 PM

I don't hate the play, but I think this is more of a play you make after you've established yourself as a player. Something that seems harder to do online than in a B&M game since people seem less likely to pay attention. Then again if you are just sitting down, some times I like to open up with a few "questionable" plays like this one, to get that first impression in as a loose player before tightening up.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:15 PM

Were you planning on checkraising the flop, when you checked?

I think you played it well, but may not have won the hand.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Don\'t raise UTG with 98s in this game...there\'s no point.

I'm consistently surprised when I raise UTG and get multiple coldcallers, after having not played a hand for the last 2-3 orbits.

I really should stop becoming surprised.

Don't raise 98s UTG against these jokers. You're lucky if they know you're at the table, let alone know how you play.

-- Homer
Old 05-07-2003, 02:29 PM

This is one of those plays HPFAP recommends every once in awhile. Raise EP with T9s I think is their example. Problem is, this is only effective if you've already established a tight table image. Though you haven't played a hand, I think it's too early in your session for this kind of move. In fact, I would only do this in a game with more than a couple of regulars who would actually notice, or if it's a 9% to the flop, uber-tight kind of table.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:53 PM

All folded around back to me and I don't think a reraise will get it HU so I call.

Why on earth would you want to get it heads up out of position with 9 high against a preflop 3-bettor?

You got caught making an out of the ordinary play preflop, but I think you played it well after the flop. I'd bet the turn, but if you thought there was a great chance the 3-bettor would bet then a check raise is a nice play.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:20 PM

Yeah,

I was planning on checkraising the flop.....I figured he (PF 3 bettor) would bet if checked to again.

Allan
Old 05-07-2003, 03:23 PM

I would only do this in a game with more than a couple of regulars

I think this is a very inportant point. Thanks,

Allan
Old 05-07-2003, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Don\'t raise UTG with 98s in this game...there\'s no point.

Yeah I think you are right but I like to out think myself.......

Allan