Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Hand History

[ QUOTE ]
Liucipher the raises were so large because I have found many players in the $10's do not respect any other raise as well as I am un-easy post flop w/ such shallow stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may already know this, but since a wise man (I think it was adanthar?) 'reminded' me once: Preflop you should push if you have <10xBB. In general, if you're betting ~40% of what you have, then it's time to just put it all in there because you're pot committed (unless you have a monster and want a call).

That being said, when you have >10xBB you don't want to overdo it. If you bet 3xBB w/ Ax and the tight BB suddenly moves all-in, you can fold with a clear conscience and still have plenty of chips to play with.

The 10xBB rule is not strict though. If you feel you don't have enough fold equity because the people left to act have so many chips that your raise is laughable, then by all means push. Also, some people like to move all-in as an overbet in the early levels w/ strong hands because "strength means weakness" and idiots with AJo or 88 will call your AA. Hell, if there are too many limpers for my tastes, I'll do it w/ AK and still get called by dominated AXs.

I know playing postflop on Party is a gigantic pain. I personally barely know how to play a flop in my home game anymore. But juicing the pot for those extra chips when you win is just as crucial as making sure you don't bleed chips preflop. Likewise, potting the flop everytime you hit top pair is going to get you in trouble because you've bet so much that you're not going to be able to get away from opponents with a set, 2pair, overpair, etc.

I'm a beginner too, so I'm no shape to teach you how to play. Just keep posting and don't be scared to ask about a hand just because it might be obvious to others.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:07 PM

Fail to yield right of way? Lol

As far as your hands -
Dealt to ftyrow [ Kd, As ]
brian424 folds.
smosrv raises (50) to 50
jakermich folds.
AceWatson7 folds.
Big_Fred_33 folds.
one_ominous1 calls (50)
chip681 folds.
armencara folds.
winrl folds.
ftyrow calls (35)

You need to raise big time here.

Dealt to ftyrow [ 7d, 7h ]
Big_Fred_33 folds.
one_ominous1 raises (60) to 60
chip681 folds.
armencara calls (60)
winrl folds.
ftyrow calls (45)
brian424 folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9s, 3s, 3c ]
ftyrow checks.
one_ominous1 bets (80)
armencara raises (160) to 160
ftyrow folds.

I would bet the flop to see where I am at as you might get two high cards to fold. If he reraises you it is an easy fold.

Well I'm on break and couldn't read through it all but what I saw looked good to me.

- Underwriter guy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I were a better player I would agree. But for a beginner player I think flat-calling is fine. A raise will juice the pot more and may narrow the field to heads up instead of 3 handed. But you're going to be first to act in a pot that is suddenly so big that you're going to have to make a continuation bet on the flop. Before you know it you've lost 1/3 of stack because 99 pushes back at you on the rag flop.

But if you check, other players mark your hand as a big question mark. And in the case when an A falls, it's beautiful because the third player that would have folded to your 3bet w/ A9 is now going to stab at that flop hard.

Agree/disagree?

In general with "drawing" hands like big aces, I flat call when someone has already raised to thin the field and pushed some of the junk out. He's also created a non-trivial pot for me to try and win. From that point on, I'm hoping to trap a weak ace or KQ/KJ and let him bet into me, which I think is a lot easier for beginner players than try and take control of a hand out of position.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:30 PM

What I don't like about calling is you have no idea what the other person has. Acting first isn't always bad. If I re-raise the initial raise to 100 and bet the flop when it comes up (even if I miss my AK) I take the pot down a majority of the time. If the initial aggressor calls or raises I know he has a pair and I back off and fold.

Calling and folding is weak to me.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dealt to ftyrow [ 7d, 7h ]
Big_Fred_33 folds.
one_ominous1 raises (60) to 60
chip681 folds.
armencara calls (60)
winrl folds.
ftyrow calls (45)
brian424 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. In level 2 of a Party SNG, I don't see anything wrong with calling a min raise with a mid-PP and folding after missing a set, especially OOP. Reraising preflop here sounds too much like a cash game technique gone awry to me.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fail to yield right of way? Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it....

[ QUOTE ]
I know playing postflop on Party is a gigantic pain. I personally barely know how to play a flop in my home game anymore. But juicing the pot for those extra chips when you win is just as crucial as making sure you don't bleed chips preflop. Likewise, potting the flop everytime you hit top pair is going to get you in trouble because you've bet so much that you're not going to be able to get away from opponents with a set, 2pair, overpair, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true.. I run face first into set's, higher pocker pairs than the board and two pair all the time.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:51 PM

You should fold pre-flop then. Ak is not your hand.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Lol. Whenever I get QQ+, I always sigh and think, "How am I going to f*ck this one up this time?"
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 PM

das - I think he's talking about the hand above it. oxy's advice on the 77 was to bet the paired flop as it most likely didn't help anyone.

FWIW, I agree with oxy but I think it's a tricky hand to play out of position against loose players with deep stacks ...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should fold pre-flop then. Ak is not your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning the correct play would be better then folding pre-flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t845)
CO (t980)
Button (t950)
SB (t785)
Hero (t915)
UTG (t535)
UTG+1 (t960)
UTG+2 (t770)
MP1 (t545)
MP2 (t715)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t50</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t35.

Flop: (t160) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t100</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t260

I called the raise looking for TPTK, I missed and folded.

I agree it was weak play on the flop, but it would be even weaker to fold pre-flop, right???