Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Need steak advice

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, I made a garlic-hoisin pan sauce for pork chops last week that didn't make me vomit. I try pan sauces but usually botch them. I may have let them get too hot. Any suggestions without seeing how I actually ruin them in person?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't make a good sauce if you've burned the fond. Fond = the particles that stick to the pan after cooking. It is the Fond that makes sauces good. So, you've cooked your meat and set it aside to rest. Now the pan is still hot and over a flame. We now immediately "deglaze" the pan with a splash of wine. The wine (hell it could be water) on a hot pan helps to release the fond. We then scrape the fond up with a wooden spoon. Now we add our stock and whatever other ingrediants we desire and reduce the liquid to the desired consistency.

The biggest issue really is -> don't burn the fond before adding the liquid.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:30 PM

Good thread.
I agree with CSC. Pan sear.
The oven trick is fine, but the same result can be reached by letting the pan pre-heat properly.

Do bring the steak to room temp.
Do dry the steak with a paper towel just before seasoning and searing.
Start with a choice steak first. Easier on the wallet while you are learning. New York strip is probably the easiest to start with because of it's uniformity and lack of bone.
I only use the oven if the steak is thick. 1" or more. A thinner steak will be done on the burner before it is over charred.

Let the steak rest. very important.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM

I had a great New York over the weekend at a pretty high end place($35 for the steak) and it was served with Blue Cheese Macaroni and Cheese and Onion Rings. The Blue cheese mac was unreal with the steak, one of the best meals I have had in a long time.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, try seeing if they have kosher ribeyes from Aaron's. (You don't have to be Jewish to eat them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) At $10.99/lb, you'll have a hard time beating the taste at any price, let alone $10.99/lb.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:07 PM

thanks. I will keep trying. Gotta bunch of overrated frozen steaks in the garage I may do with pan sauces.