Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: A SNG hand i just played..

With 905 chips left I would definitely fold to the all in bet with the 4 card straight on board. You still have plenty of time left and judging from this person's preflop call you should have a few more opportunities to take his stack with something a little stronger.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 AM

yes KJ is a very dangerous hand.

Its ok to limp in with it from the CO or button sometimes, but I muck it most all of the time early unless there are lots of limpers in the pot already.

Have you read Aleo Magus' guide yet? If not, I recomend it highly. Do a search for it.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Lethal,

I think you need to tighten up a lot in the early rounds of SNGs. Even though you've already doubled your stack, you cannot ever call off 1/8 of your chips here with KJ. This hand can't stand a huge raise. AK can't stand a huge raise in the early rounds of SNGs.

The way these tournaments are structured, picking up a few chips here and there in the early rounds isn't worth the risk of being put out. This is because if you are a good SNG player you will pick up these chips in the later rounds by stealing blinds.

-Michael
Old 08-28-2004, 10:03 AM

with a caller of the blinds you are not going to steal and your hand is not good enough for a preflop raise here. as you say, people are calling with anything to see a flop so why raise with your hand?

on the turn all your opponent needs is a Q and you are out. there are four cards to a straight here and now you are raised all in. plus even without a straight you can be beaten by a number of A hands. this is a tough call but i would rather be the pusher than the pushee with your hand. it is easy to say now outside the heat of battle that you shoudlnt have called, and you shouldnt have. this is one of the problems with hands like KJ is that if you are in a big por you are not going to be in good shape.

Pat
Old 08-29-2004, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes KJ is a very dangerous hand.

Its ok to limp in with it from the CO or button sometimes, but I muck it most all of the time early unless there are lots of limpers in the pot already.

Have you read Aleo Magus' guide yet? If not, I recomend it highly. Do a search for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read it tonight..very good read, thanks.

if anyone has a good example of how to play KJs and would like to post it in this thread id appreciate it..
Old 08-29-2004, 11:18 AM

Don't call raises with it. Maybe limp with it on the button if there are a lot of players in the pot and hope to hit the straight or the flush. Honestly, I would be more apt to play small suited connectors than KJ because at least if you are going up against AK, KQ, AQ or AJ you have live cards and if no paint comes, you could have the best pair. You can play it shorthanded because all hands are up in value then. If I'm playing it at a full table, I am trying to steal the pot just like I would with any garbage hand.