Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: affects of 2+2 on me

It seems these are more reasons to not follow an organized religion than to not believe in God.

Are you losing faith in God or just your religion?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:58 AM

First there is a mountain
Then there is no mountain
then there is

PairTheBoard
Old 07-19-2005, 12:59 AM

It might seem that I am trying to get on your ignore list, but I am not. I don't want you ignoring me I'm not sure why as I am sure several people are ignoring me already. But I hope that is because I give bad poker advice. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I don't like your reasons, you need better ones for something this important.

1) Belief in god not being consistent through out history. ie the greeks and all there weird ass stuff (zeus, apollo)
<font color="blue"> Almost all cultures had some type of belief. So the details were all different it does not mean the idea was wrong. It could be used to promote the likelyhood of a God. Plus what did the greeks ever get right? </font>

2) the differences between religions
<font color="blue">Same as 1 </font>

3) the "code of conduct" of god being ideal rules dor a society to thrive.
<font color="blue"> We would only know if everyone followed the code. </font>

I would give you my reasons why I have choosen to be agnostic, but I'm sure you have heard it all before. It is a common theme around here. Sorry if I sound like a jerk here, it is not my intention. I just think you need better reasons but I am not smart enough to explain it properly. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway don't put God on the list till you are sure he is Dead.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 AM

basically my reasons add up to me concluding that it seems almost certain that the idea of god being the creation of man. It just kind of hit me all of a sudden as I realized I had no reason to believe in god, so then I thought about it for a while and when I came to the point I am now.

disagreeing with me never gets somebody ignored. I prefer it.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3) the "code of conduct" of god being ideal rules dor a society to thrive

[/ QUOTE ]

what I meant by that is the concepts of heaven and hell seem to be the perfect carrot and stick method of getting people to conform to behaviors that are ideal for society as a whole. It doesnt suprise me then that these beliefs would change over time or be different depending on the society.

This basically explained in my own mind where religion camer from and why it is the way it is.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what I meant by that is the concepts of heaven and hell seem to be the perfect carrot and stick method of getting people to conform to behaviors that are ideal for society as a whole. It doesnt suprise me then that these beliefs would change over time or be different depending on the society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Christianity spent its first 300 years in persecution and martyrdom facing oppression from the governing authority of Roman society, this would not seem to validate your view that religious morality is just a tool to induce conformance to society's rules.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Christianity spent its first 300 years in persecution and martyrdom facing oppression from the governing authority of Roman society, this would not seem to validate your view that religious morality is just a tool to induce conformance to society's rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point.

Don't take anything I say as an attack on religion. I have no hostility towards faith and I certainly don't consider those who are to be less logical, objective ot whatever adjective has been used for smart. My father goes to church every sunday and he is the greatest man I know.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 AM

You sound like a great son to him too. And maybe the reason he is such a great man is due in no small part to his religious faith and its effects on his life. I don't mean to preach, but maybe if you started going to mass again on sundays, just sitting in the back pew and listening, and reading a few chapters of the gospel every day, you might find out what makes your father who he is, and that you have a heavenly Father who loves you just as much and wants you to be a son to Him as well.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:19 AM

"You sound like a great son to him too. And maybe the reason he is such a great man is due in no small part to his religious faith and its effects on his life. I don't mean to preach, but maybe if you started going to mass again on sundays, just sitting in the back pew and listening, and reading a few chapters of the gospel every day, you might find out what makes your father who he is, and that you have a heavenly Father who loves you just as much and wants you to be a son to Him as well."

Such a nice man. But Not Ready thinks you are probably going to hell. And Bossjj thinks you are probably going to heaven (as do Sklanskians). Even though your beliefs are far closer to his. Don't you find that unsettling?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 AM

I only care about what they think in that I care about the truth, which I don't think they fully have. They won't be the judge of my eternal fate, God will. So why should I be unsettled?