Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Default AKo misses

UTG seemed solid. He played very few hands, but played them aggressively. Is this an easy spot to bail or do I let UTG put me all-in?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t1565)
CO (t640)
Hero (t700)
SB (t610)
BB (t1035)
UTG (t915)
UTG+1 (t480)
MP1 (t2055)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t275</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls t245, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Flop: (t655) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t350</font>, Hero ???
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: AKo misses

i fold, you're up against a pair more than AQ AJ
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM

If he is truly a solid player, I can't think of any hand he has that you beat.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM

er, imo, utg can't be that solid, he did limp call off 1/3 of his stack.

given your preflop action, i'd have to push on the flop. you left yourself with ~450 behind, even though i would sort of expect to see 99-JJ or AK or something like that when i don't see my opponent holding AA-QQ here. i just feel that you can't put yourself in this spot with 400 odd chips and then fold, and when called by those middle hands or whatever, you've got some outs.

having said that, i'd probably raise less preflop, maybe to about 150, to give myself more options on the flop.

citanul

edit: depending on your buyin level, i'd also expect to be ahead a fair amount of the time when called, not that much, but sometimes.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM

I wouldnt have raised so much preflop, but anyways, depending on my mood i probably fold. You're still not quite pot commited yet. Looks like UTG is trying to protect a medium pair. Can't see him betting like that with AQ or AJ which is about the best you can hope he has.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 PM

I think QQ-AA check-raises this flop. I really can't see AK, AQ or KQ. I put villain squarely on 99-JJ with an emphasis on JJ.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Raise 200 so you are not too involved, then fold to a decent bet, Ace high is a pretty bad holding.

Even in this case I would still fold because I figue you are beat every time and some of your outs might well be counterfeated by UTG
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think QQ-AA check-raises this flop. I really can't see AK, AQ or KQ. I put villain squarely on 99-JJ with an emphasis on JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

my problem is that i think that while you are likely behind, and i'm agreeing with a medium pair assessment, you're about 25% to win the hand against a medium pair, and i think you might need to take the odds given you, though they are worse than the odds you need, because being as short as you would be otherwise is not great.

however, i don't see why if you think that QQ-AA would checkraise this flop that 99-JJ would not as well, it seems intuitive that both sets of hands should be played pretty much the same way in this spot.

citanul
Old 05-23-2005, 01:41 PM

if your opponent has AA or KK here, i think you're pretty much screwed. it would, however, bet a very strange way of having played the hand for utg, since he would have had to limp early and then NOT reraise a significant, almost pot committing, raise from another player heads up. if he has A2 or A7, i think you just tip your hat to him and put him on your buddy list. so i don't think that your outs being counterfeited is something you should be worrying about too much.

i think that raising to 200 and then folding to from one other player when you have 700 chips, unless you can VERY reliably put him on AA or KK (like a habitual limp reraiser with AA or KK) is a terrible terrible terrible line and you should be admonished for offering it as any form of advice to anyone anywhere.

"ace high is a pretty bad holding" is so trite you should consider putting your head in an oven.

citanul
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM

I think that bet says he missed too, but I'm unsure. He should push all-in given his stack and yours so that bet is either because he's scared or he's trapping. If he's as smart as you think he is, I'll bet trapping.

If you call you're commited pretty much. It's either fold or push. It's early and you still have 14BB left so you might want to fold.