Old 07-31-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Nomar!!!!

Cubs fans rejoice!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Nomar!!!!

upgrade for Chicago, downgrade for boston
Old 07-31-2004, 05:48 PM

Total upgrade for Boston. Despite his talents, his rotten attitude was bringing the whole team down. He was a great player for 95% of the time he was here. Starting last August, he stunk.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:57 PM

Pokey Reese bat + Alex Gonzalez bat = Not even close to Nomar's.
Gonzo has been injured for part of this season.
Mienkewitz has sucked offensively, but he still has a good glove, but if you start him at first just for defense, then there offense will be lacking. So, you now have to players playing who are offensively worse than the players before them, the Red Sox lineup is much less intimidating. Less playing time for Millar and no Nomar, mixed with average starting pitching, and well.... you have a downgrade.

I realize that a lot of you Boston fans were feed up with Nomar, but to even try to act that this trade was an upgrade, especially at short, is absurd.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:03 PM

Default The big question...

Will Cubs fans learn how to say "Nomah" or will he need a new nickname?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:05 PM

Whether or not its an upgrade is irrelevant. It had to be made. He wasn't coming back next year, and his half-hearted play this year has been obvious to anybody paying attention.

He dogged it coming back from the injury. I predict the achilles will be fine once he's in Chi-town. He rejected a very fair offer from the team to extend his contract last year, then went into the tank after they tried to make the A-Rod deal. His attitude was an insult to the fans who adored him. I for one am looking forward to September.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: The big question...

They won't need to, as he'll be in Anaheim next year, if the way Moreno was wooing Ramon Garciaparra and Mia in the owners box the last time the Sox played the Angels is any indication.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether or not its an upgrade is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ] There in a playoff race, its not irrelavent. But your right, they had to do it. I wonder if this was the best offer they could get? I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns with the Cubs.

[ QUOTE ]
He dogged it coming back from the injury. I predict the achilles will be fine once he's in Chi-town. He rejected a very fair offer from the team to extend his contract last year, then went into the tank after they tried to make the A-Rod deal. His attitude was an insult to the fans who adored him. I for one am looking forward to September.

[/ QUOTE ] To be honest with you, the Red Sox front office is the one that let down its fans. The A-Rod trade was a total slap in the face to him. He put blood and sweat into the Red Sox, and thats how they repay him? C'Mon..... I don't know if he has been playing half-heartedly because I don't see many Boston games, nor do I read the "yellow-journalistic" Boston sports writers columns, but if he did, I can see why he played that way, its just to bad baseball is a team sport though, cuz he let down his teamates. On a side note, I have heard from Peter Gammons that Pedro and Manny are also very selfish players. The Red Sox really lake unity right now, and trading Nomar probably didn't help.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:30 PM

To be honest with you, the Red Sox front office is the one that let down its fans. The A-Rod trade was a total slap in the face to him.

What? They offered Nomar $16M per year and he said "No." Since they knew this would be his last year with the team, they made a good business decision and tried to make the best of it. What were they supposed to do? They made an honest effort to re-sign him at very good money and he chose to reject the offer.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:47 PM

its called a contract negotiation. They offered him that, which he turned down, then he counter-offers for 17 mill for 5 years. What do the Red Sox do? They tuned that down and countered for less than the original contract. Listen man, they low-balled him, bar none. They gave him the run around hoping to resign him for under his market value, and when that didn't work they gave a half hearted attempt( 12 mill 4 years) which they knew he would turn down, thus they could have the "neccesary reasons" to trade him. Boston tried to [censored] him and instead he turned around a [censored] them.... good for him.