Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Daytime and night time players

I play 5/10 SH during the day and at night. I have now a problem that has me very frustrated and perplexed.

My statistics look the same 32% see flop 25 VPIP. PFR 16%

During the night I rule. I always win.

During the day I almost always lose.

EAST COAST: I play the same at both but the difference is I get drawn out on during the day of a factor of 4:1 more than at night. I mean its monsterous. I also can't bluff during the day. People just call with nothing all the way down.

it almost seems like the players are worse, literally calling with anything during the day.

Are there differences between day and night players? This has been going on for my 1st 10,000 hands now since I moved up. Seems like a silly question but I notice a difference in them calling more and not folding. I even got people just calling with the nuts all the way down. Variance?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Daytime and night time players

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a silly question but I notice a difference in them calling more and not folding

[/ QUOTE ]

bluff less, valuebet more..

[ QUOTE ]
Variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

most likely...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Here's a random thought. I don't usually play during the day so this a "theory" at best. Perhaps more of the people who play during the day are doing so out of boredom. They're people who have cash and some time to kill, but don't play very often. They have the day off from work or are at work and it's slow. They aren't trying to play "serious" poker. Where as many of the people who play at night set aside that time to play poker. They play regularly and have a better understanding of the game.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:26 PM

id say that the only people on during the day are the hardcore players that are grinding it out. the action players are on at night after work or whatever.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 PM

my sentiment exactly, that could very well be the explanation
Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 PM

I notice a definate difference between night and day.

The daytime players seem to be more weak/tight. Harder to win money off them than the night time players who are more loose and aggro. But night time also has a higher percentage of better players I feel. So its prolly just a varience thing since (IMO) night has bigger fluctuations as they players are better, and the ones who arent are more aggro.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 PM

I disagree. In my experience the games are slightly better with a few more fish per capita(is that proper usage nap?) at night, but the daytime games are still very good and worth your time. I wish I had stats to post but my old computer bit the dust and I only have 10K hands on my new one. Anyways, time of day is not something that I take into consideration when deciding whether or not to play a session.

Do you have any stats to back up your claim?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:14 PM

OK, so everyone disagrees with me. I will say that the good games are harder to find during the day, but they are definitely there. I do live on the west coast though, so I guess I would rarely be playing before 1 or 2 East Coast time and would often be playing at 4 or 5 in the morning east coast time.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:13 AM

Day: Can't bluff, I see more crap hands beat me. MANY more bad beats. Can't be as aggresive trying to steal. People will call with anything.

Night: Easier to steal, easier to take control of the table and make them fold. Agression pays.

The one constant thing is the idiot super bluffers that keep bluffing and don't know when they are beat. Thats the one bad player I hate the most. You can't bluff him because he will call you down with nothing but he is constantly trying to bluff you. I keep these fuggers on my right.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:38 AM

That's the inverse of my experiences? Daytime games are weaker tighter and you can bluff and bangout the rocks. At night its pot odds and drawing games more, you can also pull slickster 13 and 17 outer raises and get paid off...... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]