Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM

Default MultiTable vs moving up in limits ???

Hi-
I am considering moving up to 1/2 but am not sure if I should stay at .5/1 and attempt 2 tables first (or perhaps even do both)?

My thought here is 2 table .5/1 may be a faster way to build bankroll due to the softer competition ....as well as ... the cheapest way to gain 2 table experience?

Does being a multitable player at a lower limit give you any advantage as a single table player at a higher limit?

Thanx for your thoughts!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: MultiTable vs moving up in limits ???

I would definitely start multi-tabling at the lower levels before moving up because eventually you're going to want to multi at the next level, so why not learn at the lowest? I'd start with two tables then move up to four if you can.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:42 PM

The more tables you play the more you can make. That being said spreading your attention over multiple tables will most likely reduce your BB/100 rate. If the combined BB/100 of the multiple tables drops below what you make when you one table, your losing money due to multitabling

I think you should figure out the mechanics of multitabling at the lowest limit you're sure you can beat. Many of the better players at small stakes regularly four-tabled at every step of their development. If this interests you start out at .50/1 and figure out how many tables you can effectively play. I usually two-table and when the mood strikes me and I'm especially focused I'll three-table. The reason why two tables works best for me is that my monitor is smallish and I often get my attention dragged to family, etc...I also have poker tracker in game screens all over the place which gets my desktop very cluttered. I'm looking into getting a two monitor set-up at some point to make this easier in the future as I really think four tabling is doable for me in the right situation.

The cost effectiveness can be calculated pretty easily.

I would rather win 2BB/100 on 4 tables than 4BB/100 on 1. Figure out where your effectiveness dips below the value line. There's no reason to play even 2 tables if your BB/100 is negative when you do it.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:42 PM

For me 2-tabling is ideal.

1. Holds your interest.
2. Not overloaded, still have time to think about hands and watch other player.

3. Still able to relax (bathroom, beer..etc) without missing any hands.

For me my win rate per 100hands was not affected (actually went up) by doing (2) tables.

But yes I would play for a week or so at .5/1 just to get used to it. It seems hectic at first, but you catch up to it quick.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:58 PM

I also have a smallish monitor (well if you consider 19" small, which I do, especially at the resolution I use) and I find Gametime + to be a lifesaver. It basically takes the relevant GameTime window information and overlays it on top of the tables you're playing at. No need to have other windows open taking up precious space. Works great too! You can find it at the PT forums.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM

Wow, all that sounds insane to me. I've only played 6,100 hands at $0.50/$1 at PartyPoker. I've got a BB/100 rate of 7.58. But the times that I've tried two-tabling, I've had disastrous results. I can't pick up enough information on enough of the players. It's especially difficult when I'm involved in two hands at exactly the same time. Once I flopped a set and FOLDED on the flop. I didn't realize I had flopped a set and the other hand I was involved with distracted me.

The losses I suffered really discouraged me from multi-tabling. I don't know what to do to rectify my apparent ineptness in this area. Any advice?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:04 PM

If you use PokerTracker (and my God why wouldn't you?!?!) your multi-tabling is greatly helped by a little app called GameTime+. It basically overlays info on each player/the table on top of your table window so it takes up no extra space. You can find it at the PT forums... should help your game a bit.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:15 PM

using GameTime+ won't help prevent folding a set accidently on the flop though. That said, the only way to get better at it is to do it more. However, if you're still looking at odds/starting hand charts, or having issues counting outs and calculating odds you might be better off sticking with one table.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:30 PM

I am using Poker Tracker, but most certainly not to its full advantage. So far I'm using it just to track my own stats. I've found it a bit overwhelming. I don't have any settings for auto-rating players, because quite frankly I don't know what they should be.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 PM

I prefer to move up in level than multi-table.

I would rather be totally in tune with one game than giving a fraction of my attention to multiple games. I enjoy what I'm going more that way, and I think I play better poker.

Sometimes I do multi-table at a lower level, but I'll divide that between a couple of different types of games: e.g. 1/2 and a tournament.