Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Added slowplaying to my arsenal today

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 08/03/05

[/ QUOTE ]

this is arguably the most unfriendly forum on the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

nah we just get bored of dumb posts. Stick around for a while and you will get bored with them too. Besides the hand you posted wasn't really that interesting. you should be glad others here pointed out the way you misplayed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, reading the 1,000,000,000 posts saying to raise everytime one of their cards hits is so much more exciting. no wonder so many aren't winning as much as they can - their actions are easy to read. i was at a cash game, and i never raised once before river. yeah it cost some when someone hit a straight, etc., but i netted more than if i had raised at predicabe times. no one had any idea what i had before the river. none of my actions provided any hint. yes, this deviates from TOP and pot odds (though HOH says to mix things up sometimes) but the gain from being hard to read is +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth do you equate not betting with the best hand and protecting your hand with being hard to read?

The game is about accumulating chips, not looking cute.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah we just get bored of dumb posts. Stick around for a while and you will get bored with them too. Besides the hand you posted wasn't really that interesting. you should be glad others here pointed out the way you misplayed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, reading the 1,000,000,000 posts saying to raise everytime one of their cards hits is so much more exciting. no wonder so many aren't winning as much as they can - their actions are easy to read. i was at a cash game, and i never raised once before river. yeah it cost some when someone hit a straight, etc., but i netted more than if i had raised at predicabe times. no one had any idea what i had before the river. none of my actions provided any hint. yes, this deviates from TOP and pot odds (though HOH says to mix things up sometimes) but the gain from being hard to read is +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth do you equate not betting with the best hand and protecting your hand with being hard to read?

[/ QUOTE ]

one session is many hands. don't sacrifice the big picture for one hand.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you repeat your donk plays over and over again. I fail to see how it helps your case here.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you repeat your donk plays over and over again. I fail to see how it helps your case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't be read before the river.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but with two flushdraws out there you can be outdrawn before the river.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, that's a risk
Old 09-19-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, that's a risk

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, so is not maximizing your EV. But the gimmick of not being "readable" on the river may be worth it.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:04 AM

no, seriously, I slowplay more than 95% of the forum and probably you and you played this hand horribly

for starters, it requires < 5 people in the hand with you
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, seriously, I slowplay more than 95% of the forum and probably you and you played this hand horribly

for starters, it requires < 5 people in the hand with you

[/ QUOTE ]

no it doesn't. just requires pot not be big.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 AM

Don't know the buy-in you were playing, but at the lower buy-ins, you might have been able to extract chips by betting the turn from the following hands:

1) club flush draw
2) heart flush draw
3) a K
4) TJ
5) JQ
6) ace, weak kicker

Not to say that they would be correct to call, but that's not the point. You would have gotten some value from your hand.

The thing that you're overlooking is that you failed to extract value or protect your hand on the turn AND that the donk who played A7 from EP at a 10 handed table would have paid you off on the turn anyway.

So... your slowplay really accomplished nothing other than to allow several potential draws to catch up to you. Moreover, if a heart or club came on the river, you likely wouldn't have stacked the A7 and 'may' have even lost the hand yourself.