Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Results, and another round with this guy

well this is not a good flop for you, now fortunately you are only playing this against one person, basically, I think I would try to isolate yourself against the all in and hope he doesn't have a king. The calling station could have anything, but I would try to make a large enough bet that he would hopefully fold, of course if he has the king he will probably call or raise.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:01 PM

Default question about first hand

after reading some of the other posts I have a simple question. If you flop a set and there is a flush draw out there, how many outs would you need or want, to call someone elses reraise?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:45 PM

Hmm, hopefully I don't embarass myself with my answer, but I would check. Anytime I'm in a pot with one all in player and one other player, I check it down unless I'm certain I have the best hand, since my goal is to eliminate the all in player. So if you check, and he bets, I have to assume he has the K. If he checks behind you, great, hopefully another A comes off and you have top full house. Otherwise I may well check it all the way.
Not everyone has this same philosphy. I was in this situation with some checks and had paired 7's on the turn(q 7o). The other live player went all in. I said great and folded. Well, he had nothing and the all in took the pot with his pocket 5's. I just didn't understand that bet, he got me out of a pot that he had little chance of winning and let the all in player triple up. I took great satisfaction in taking most of us checks a couple of hands later.

Doug
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM

this situation is a little different though, Mantis actually has a hand, I agree with your theory of checking all the way down with one player all-in, I sometimes hope when myself and another player check on the flop, that we will check the whole way, however on the turn for some reason the other player always bets.

Anyways, Mantis should really only be worrying about the other player, the all in is done, there are a lot of hands he could have pushed with, maybe a medium pair, if I was Mantis, the flop would worry me, but I would still try to isolate the hand.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:44 PM

It sounds like you're worried about the situation where you bet with the 3rd best hand, the best hand folds and the 2nd best hand (the all-in) wins the pot and stays alive. This situation is very unlikely here. On the flop, I'd say that's next to impossible since the other player isn't going to fold for any bet if he has a hand that currently beats your AA.

You want to him to fold hands like 88 (or pay you off while chasing a 2-outer).

Finally, with 13 left, eliminating players should only be a minor concern - accumulating chips a major concern.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: question about first hand

If there isn't a made flush, outs are irrelevant. You're ahead. If you're sure he has a made flush, you're just under a 2-1 dog to improve, so if you're getting 5-2 or more on the call, you make the call.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:53 PM

There's 910 in the main pot and 260 in the side pot. The main pot's irrelevant to what you do here. Bet 200 and see how your nemesis reacts. If he raises big, I'd tend to believe him.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:53 PM

I think I still disagree. If you make any kind of bet at all, what hands can he call or raise you with? K x, K 5, or 55, maybe qq's or jj's. If he reraises you, which he may do if he has qq's or jj's,are you going to fold? I know if you bet he may fold, but I don't see where a free card hurts you too much. There are no obvious str8 or flush draws, though I suppose he could pick one up on the turn. If you check and he goes all in, I think you have to give him credit for the king. He knows he is going to have to show his hand at the end so I don't see him making a big bluff.
I do see your point, but I still think I would check and see where he thinks he is.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 PM

My focus here would be on winning the side pot. At this point I have no control over whether or not I win the main pot. I'm going to have to show down against the BB for that. What I don't want to do is give the guy with a live hand any chance to draw out on me to win the side pot. Since the side pot's small, you don't have to bet too big to take it down, and from the other hand, I see this opponent as being pretty direct if he has a K.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:05 PM

I agree with your theory of checking all the way down with one player all-in

Not when you likely have the best hand *and* there's already a side pot.