Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Limit vs. No limit SNGs on Party...(a bit long)

I don't play a lot of SNGs but I think I may start at the $10+1 level on Party Poker. My dilemna is that I know that good players have much more of an advantage over worse players in NL, yet I am a much better limit player IMO and I'm more comfortable playing limit. Basically this is because I like being able to call a single bet on the river with a set after the flush card hits the river than having to deal with an all-in or monsterous pot sized bet. Also, figuring implied odds in NL is very difficult and player dependant yet in limit I am very comfortable with my ability to calculate basic odds.

I notice most on this forum prefer the NL variety and my guess is this is because luck is probably more of a short term factor in limit play. Also, you can really punish loose calling stations in NL and it only takes 1 good hand, whereas its much more difficult to cripple these types in 1 hand of limit and its often impossible to extract a huge sum.

I think I'm better than the avg 10+1 Party SNG player in either style but I tend to prefer limit and I have noticed that the players in the limit SNGs are just as bad as the NL players yet both of these groups feature VERY bad players. So, am I giving up too much of an edge or short term variance by playing limit? There's nothing better than having the nut flush and "knowing" you can get 1 or even a few players to call your all in early in an NL SNG and clearly these situations never happen in limit.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.