Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Sadly, it all ended in tears....

It'll End in Tears
Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
99-AA only if range is any two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep this is probably the range, given that you've already invested 900. Interestingly, according to ICM, if you know in advance that the big stack will come over the top of any raise you make with any two cards, you need QQ+ to actually want him to do so, since you need to be a 78% favourite to get a +$EV. This suggests that under these conditions (you know SB will push and BB fold) if you're dealt JJ you should open-fold it, which is fairly bizarre. Of course in practice you'll never know your opponent is guaranteed to come over the top with any two, but still it demonstrates just how extreme this situation is.

As for the OPs perspective, there is a fundamental problem with making this move. As has been noted, it's only correct to do it when you're opponent plays correctly. But you only do it when this opponent has open raised. And since open raising in such a situation is generally idiotic (without strong reads) since it's just asking the big stack to come over the top, there's two likely explanations for someone doing it:

1. They have a huge hand and want you to come over the top of them. Whether it's huge enough for their play to be correct is irrelevant - they're calling.

2. They are stupid. Hence they are probably calling.

Bottom line. Don't commit the cardinal sin of assuming your PP opponents have functioning brains.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: My all in is correct, his call is incorrect, correct?

[ QUOTE ]
im gonna move up to the 33's cuz at the 11s they call my 23 with 27 bastards!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, on a $22 this morning I pushed w/ 77 on the bubble and got called by J7. All four of us were around t2000 and I hadn't done anything excessively for him to believe i was pushing any 2. I know how you feel!

FWIW I lay down A10 without an issue, with AQ I grit my teeth and fold.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
33. Was my all in here correct? Unless he has a truly premium hand here (QQ through AA) he should fold here shouldn't he?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Button (t2535)
Hero (t4277)
BB (t748)
UTG (t440)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4277 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button ????

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have known that he was going to call your bet, and you made a mistake in not knowing that. The read is pretty easy. He made a huge raise (but not an all-in raise). The size of his raise is stupid, which tells you that he is stupid (I guess he was trying to cover the BB's stack, but a standard 2.5BB or 3BB essentially does the same thing). Plus he was practically pot committed with that stupid raise. So you should have known. If we had to vote whose play was worse, I don't know who I would vote for. He seriously jeopardized his chances of finishing ITM, and you seriously jeopardized your chance of finishing 1st place. So I would say it's a tie.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM

I doubt I would make this reraise. What would you do if he only raised to 500?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 AM

To the OP: Check out the post that I made a while back in a more extreme bubble situation... I got pretty much the same response that I'm guessing that you're going to get - relying on your opponents to think or make the "right" play is very dangerous. I learned my lesson from this one.

[ QUOTE ]
Do these people even have any brains whatsoever????

Blinds 200-400

UTG (t50) folds
Button (t1500) raises to 800
SB (t1100) folds
Hero BB (t4750) re-raises all-in

Button calls with AQ!!!
Wins the hand and says, "I knew I'd trap you eventually"

So there's no confusion, I'm not complaining about this, their stupidity accounts for my high ROI, I just thought that you guys would find this as amusing as I did....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Effective pot is 3600 and it's 1600 for him to call. Unless he puts you on QQ or better then that's a call. It's also important how you've been playing up to this point. If you've been pushing a lot of hands then he might see this as a good time to cripple you, and he's willing to take some risk for the win.

Either he's a fish, or he's playing to win, and not just to cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. $EV&gt;TCEV.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:22 AM

Assuming you raise with any 2 cards, he should call with a lot of hands (using SnG PT):

A7s+
A9o+
KTs+
KQo
66+

That is the full range of non-negative EV calls against your raise with any 2.

Now if I plug that in to his calling range, it's clearly correct for you to raise with any 2.

I think what happens here is that despite UTG being forced in next hand, you are so short stacked that your equity is low as well. Thus you don't lose much by calling and getting knocked out. However, should you call and win you gain a lot. This widens the range of calling hands. Should you have even slightly more chips, say 1000, you should only call with TT+ (even AKs is negative EV).
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 PM

The forum does it again; I have learnt something. Both you and kamrann are absolutely spot on. I made a bigger mistake. He can't make that sized raise unless he has a huge hand or doesn't know what he's doing. If he doesn't know what he's doing he'll call the all in and I'll be a dog. [for some reason this reminds me of the final cross-examination in 'A Few Good Men'].

The one caveat is that there's probably a good chance he's not thinking when he sees his AT and makes a standard raise. I go all in over the top, he has to reassess the situation, sees the two small stacks, realises he's made a mistake and folds. He certainly 'thought' about calling for a long time.