Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: The Iranian Mullah : Another favorite son of US foreign policy

"Mossadegh was replaced by another Prime Minister, the Shah was already the Shah at the time"

Mossadegh was replaced after CIA-backed pro-monarcy forces stormed government offices by a CIA-linked general. You make it sound like he was voted off the local Golf Club committee. The Shah was in exile at the time. He was in control of the country within a year.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Can you spell \"Anglo-Iranian\" ?

"This grossly oversimplifies the situation."

Does it?

Although I stated that I would be brief, what I posted was the truth about Iran and the US. You show yourself as only a little knowledgeable about the American gaffes in Iran - and you know the saying about a little knowledge.

I have an original copy of the issue of Fortune magazine whereby the CIA bureau chief boasts quite openly about what the Agency did! His byline! (Has a pic of him too!)

"A tough choice we were faced with, a point that you conveniently overlook with the benefit of hindsight."

What "tough choice"? What "hindsight"? Bollocks to all that. Mossadegh was a respectable, secular, democratic Prime Minister. His crime had to do with oil, baby. The guy wanted oil profits to go mainly to the Iranian Treasury rather than some outsiders. That was all there was to it - and the Americans hurriedly went to battle to install "their" guy. They thought that would be the Shah Pahlevi (ROTFL) with the opposition consisting of safe, anti-communist mullahs (ROTFLMAO)!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Why are people so eager to place the US at fault for things like this? I understand the argument about the Iranian theocracy coming to power. Not sure I agree but I need to bone up on my history before I weigh in. The larger point here is that it is yet another illustration of the extremism that seems to come so easily to much of the Muslim world and the fact that, for whatever reason, these are the sort of people who may well soon have nuclear weapons capability.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
The Shah was in exile at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shah fled the country for a few days to avoid being assassinated by Mossadegh's goons. His later power consolidation was in part a reaction to his personal vunerability.

Mossadegh's reckless power grabbing while he was in power contributed mightily to Iran's later problems, yet he is always refered to by liberals as a "nice liberal nationalist democrat".
Old 09-01-2004, 10:39 AM

You do realize that it was the Manhattan project that opened the Nuclear pandora's box. Guess which country that was in? Note I made it easy by asking country, not state or city.

Can you blame any country from trying to get it? Specially as terrorist states like Israel already have these weapons.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Re: Can you spell \"Anglo-Iranian\" ?

[ QUOTE ]
I have an original copy of the issue of Fortune magazine whereby the CIA bureau chief boasts quite openly about what the Agency did! His byline! (Has a pic of him too!)

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't going to say bad things about a descendant of Theodore Roosevelt are you?

Can't a guy have pride in his work?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that it was the Manhattan project that opened the Nuclear pandora's box. Guess which country that was in? Note I made it easy by asking country, not state or city.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize other countries were working on the same project. Thank God the US was first, and not Hitler or Stalin.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again. Lets assign blame as quick as possible. Fine we know how nukes got developed. Whats the point? Lets deal with here and now, ok?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you blame any country from trying to get it? Specially as terrorist states like Israel already have these weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, if you want call Israel a terrorist state, fine. I dont particularly blame countries for trying to acquire them, but the fact that it could be a country like Iran that gets them is the scary part.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are people so eager to place the US at fault for things like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Americans, it is taking personal, not sole, responsibility. I really thought that personal responsibility was a halmark of conservatism... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 AM

"The Shah fled the country for a few days to avoid being assassinated by Mossadegh's goons."

No, he fled the country nearly a year prior to Mossadegh's overthrow.

"Mossadegh's reckless power grabbing while he was in power contributed mightily to Iran's later problems, yet he is always refered to by liberals as a "nice liberal nationalist democrat". "

Sure it did. That did not give the US carte blanche to undermine him and replace him with vicious reactionaries. Whatever Mossadegh was, he wasn't a mass torturer and murderer like the US's good friend the Shah.