Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

I, for one, never believe anything someone says at the poker table. Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually.

What does surprise me is how many folks here are taking the tilter's story as the truth.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, never believe anything someone says at the poker table. Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually.

What does surprise me is how many folks here are taking the tilter's story as the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

the poster said he believd the story to be true. all responses, therefore, should consider it to be fact for the purposes of discussion.

cheers!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:26 PM

Assuming this story is true, which is a longshot, I would say take the money and run. Poker, and especially online poker, is about taking advantage of weak players and people making mistakes. This is no different... Just because he has had a tragedy in is life doesn't mean you shouldn't play with him. If your morals are so high that you can't take money from someone who is playing poorly then you should choose another game.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:29 PM

Assuming the story was true: He let you understand that he was in a terrible crisis and had no business in a poker room. Knowing that, you took him aside and raped him. Where´s the dilemma part of the story?

/twang
Old 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM

Don't you think there is a HUGE difference between not getting up from a full table (ie. keep playing) and OFFERING to play the guy H/U to take advantage of his "possible" mental situation.

I for one think there is a MASSIVE difference. I probably wouldn't get up from a full table and stop playing but I would NEVER pray (whether or not the thought crossed my mind) on someone like that.

my 2 cents.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-07-2004, 06:21 PM

There's no "dilema" or anything here. The guy is playing bad, and your job is take as much of his money as you possibly can. Just business, nothing personal. It doesn't matter what his background story is or whether it's true or not. All that matters is that you got the job done.

I'm surprised so many of the poker players here are so soft regarding things like this. What ever happened to that old addage, "I'd bust my grandmother if she played a pot with me".

If presented with the opportunity to take a tilters money, I suggest you take it, because I assure you, if you ever get screwed up in the head and start going off for lots of money, there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't think twice about taking it from you.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:29 PM

Yes! This is a critical point.
/M
Old 11-07-2004, 06:42 PM

" Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually."

This is a serious error in judgment. While it is true that is better for the poker community in general if people lose slowly and come back for more rather than have a single traumatic experience, you are passing up too much in this spot. Party Poker has over 50,000 players at a time. The chance that you will ever see this player again is small. You have a chance right now to guarantee yourself $1700 (or whatever it is). This is something like 50 hours of expectation. There is no way I can fathom that passing on playing this player will net you more than that. In fact, it will not even come close. Maybe in a cardroom with 3 tables, where he could come back every week and lose to you, but will avoid you if you beat him too badly, this is the best strategy. On Party Poker, there is only one EV choice, and that is play until your eyes bleed.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:54 PM

Pity not the fallen. Ye, I am not for them, I never knew them. Strike low and hard and to hell with them. Conquer.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I suggest you take it, because I assure you, if you ever get screwed up in the head and start going off for lots of money, there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't think twice about taking it from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the logic...

Just because there are lots of people out there who would steal your car if don't lock it doesn't mean that you should run around stealing cars.