Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

A few months ago, I was playing in a $100 buy-in NL cash game on party and one guy in the room was just moving in preflop literally 80% of the time and rebought for the full $100 about 10 times in the course of 20 minutes.

He claimed to be under the influence of heavy anti-depressants because of the stress he was under due to the death of his wife's newborn infant. I believed the authenticity of his situation because he was able to quickly give the names of the drugs he was taking, as well as refer us to a website with the heartbreaking account of his wife's pregnancy and the tragic death of the fetus.

Some people in the game obviously felt guilty and tried convincing him to stop throwing his money away. I attempted to do this too, but he claimed that gambling on poker was theraputic for him and that the money he was dumping at the table was an amount he could afford to lose.

So I figured if he wants to give away his money, I might as well get the rest of it in a 15/30 heads up match. Our 'competition' lasted about 50 hands before I cleared him out of his $1700. The maniac would cap every street with little to nothing and then when he finally busted, he begged me to transfer him some more money, because his weekly deposity limit was up.

As I took a taxi back to my hotel after my session, I felt a little guilty about taking his money. It felt too easy. If he would have played halfway decently, or at least put up some sort of fight, I would have felt like I earned it. Instead, I felt more like I robbed the guy.

Would you take this guys money after finding out what I've shared with you? At what point would you stop taking his money if party didnt put a cap on the amount he could transfer from his bank account.