Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Strong but marginal hands in the BB after tons of limpers

I apologize for the non-specific query, but this is more theoretical than specific hand advice.

This applies mainly to JJ or AQ (and to a much lesser extent 1010 and AJ).

We all know that these are marginal hands that play extremely differently depending on the circumstances. I am interested to know how people (generally) play these hands from the BB with most of the table limping before you.

Lets say full table, early in STT, equivalent stack sizes all around. You have JJ or AQ in the BB and 5 people limp ahead of you. The dilemma is that your hand is almost certainly the strongest hand at the table preflop in a n unraised multiway pot BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE ABLE TO ISOLATE.

There are two approaches I see and I'm not sure which is more +EV.

1) check your option, which basically turns your hand into a small pair/Axs/suited connector. i.e., in a 6-way flop out of position, you're not sticking around past the flop unless you hit a monster.

2) Attempt to isolate which is difficult with so many limpers. There is the domino effect in these tourneys - the first couple limpers call your raise, they all do for the pot odds. So your only hope to isolate and keep your starting hand's value is significantly overbetting the pot (or even pushing) to either win it right there or welcome heads up action from 1 caller who most likely has a weaker holding than you.

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Strong but marginal hands in the BB after tons of limpers

Depends on the blinds. If they're low, I usually just check. If they're pretty big, the amount in the pot gets really tempting and I overbet to take it down/isolate.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:43 PM

Sorry, had to bump.

I face this situation a lot and would appreciate more input.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM

I agree with Noah.