Buchanan 0 0%
Pierce 0 0%
Lincoln 11 10.09%
Grant 0 0%
Johnson 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Relapse Party?

I do not drink anymore. I spent the last 2-3 years of my life drinking every day and night. I never really had a problem with drinking alone (problem being the key word), and I didn't have withdrawals (serious, anyway) when I quit. I used to have this job where my shift started at 5am, and they were pretty strict about attendance. These three factors combined got me into a little trouble. On the night before my last "occurence" I blacked out and woke up about 4 hours after I had been taken off the payroll. It was then that I decided that me drinking is -EV.

I have a friend who was way worse than me. Before he quit drinking about 2 years ago, he got several DUIs, arrested a few times, and is on probation still for starting a riot.

The other night we were talking about how we are both constantly fighting the urge to have an isolated drinking incident (a sure sign of addiction, you'd think). We discussed our favorite beers (a topic that makes my mouth water uncontrollably), how well they are complimented by cigarettes, and the general sense of well being that alcohol gives you that we both miss so much. We lamented the beers that are yet a twinkle in the brewer's eye, the sweet libations that will never again pass our lips. So, we came to the only conclusion that two rational adults in this situation can come to: a Relapse Party. One time only!!!! Tonight, after I get off work, we are going to the store to get all the beers that our hearts desire, we will drink them all. However, since this seems like the kind of thing that can potentially backfire with rather messy results, I thought I'd ask:
Old 12-03-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Relapse Party?

Bad idea. I think you probably know it too.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:26 PM

take it from me. It sounds like a good idea at first. But it doesn't take to long until you start blackout i was in a similar quandry and found myself wet and cold in the front seat of a cadillac in Eugene Or. with puke on my shoe. It sounds like fun, and probably was, but man is it a bad idea.
Wapown
Old 12-03-2004, 02:49 PM

Maybe you have a problem with alcohol. I think you should reevaluate the role you want alcohol to play in your life. Here is a poem you might find inspiring:

WE DRANK FOR

We drank for happiness and became unhappy.
We drank for joy and became miserable.
We drank to be outgoing and became self-centered.
We drank for sociability and became argumentative.
We drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious.
We drank for friendship and made enemies.
We drank for sleep and awakened without rest.
We drank for strength and felt weak.
We drank for sex drive and lost our potency.
We drank for relaxation and got the shakes.
We drank for confidence and became doubtful.
We drank for warmth and lost our cool.
We drank for coolness and lost our warmth.
We drank for freedom and became slaves.
We drank for power and were powerless.
We drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity.
We drank medicinally and acquired health problems.
We drank because the job called for it and lost the job.
We drank to make conversation and slurred our words.
We drank to feel heavenly and knew hell.
We drank to forget and were haunted.
We drank to erase problems and saw them multiply.
We drank to cope with life and invited death.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:52 PM

There is no reason to decide to have a relaps party. you will find once you drink againg that you were better off not drinking at all. If you have a problem and you know it you cant quit drinking and come back without the problem. Once you have developed the problem it will stay with you forever. When you quit drinking you didnt just change a habbit your are changing the way you think. IF you know drinking causes you problems then the answer is very clear that there is no logical reason to ever drink again.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:59 PM

That you are even trying to "rationally" think about it is just sad.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you have developed the problem it will stay with you forever. When you quit drinking you didnt just change a habbit your are changing the way you think. IF you know drinking causes you problems then the answer is very clear that there is no logical reason to ever drink again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word. Balki sums it up well. Having a "relapse Party" is one of the worst ideas i think i'v ever heard. Isolated incidents do not exist with problem drinkers.
Wapown
Old 12-03-2004, 03:14 PM

i voted no because it sounds like drinking might not be for you. some people can handle it and no when to quit and managed themselves properly in those situations.

if your goal is to be sober for the rest of your ife i do not see the party necessary. if you are taking a break until you feel that you can handle the responsibilities again then i do not see the harm in it. i would be worried that after you started drinking that one of you may decide to drive which would definetely not be a good idea.

someone close to me was once a heavy drinker and got in some severe trouble because of it. (thankfully noone was every injured) he quit drinking for almost a year. he then played in golf scramble and got absolutely wasted, amking a complete ass of himself. he hasnt drank since and stil regrets drinking that time, he realized that drinking + himself do not mix well and he cannot handle the situation.

i drink -- im sure ill drink until i die

i hope everything goes well

cheers
Old 12-03-2004, 03:14 PM

Instead of talking with you're other now sober friend about how good the alchohol was and how much you miss it, why don't you two talk about how many problems it caused and how much better you are without it?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of talking with you're other now sober friend about how good the alchohol was and how much you miss it, why don't you two talk about how many problems it caused and how much better you are without it?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely right.
Wapown