Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Do I have an opposite problem ?

Here's the exercise: Say "it's irrational" into the mirror 20 times, then get to it. The big surprise I got when I stopped goofing off in 1-2 and 2-4 games was how much more enjoyable it is to play at the higher levels. I'm not talking about the hopped-up drunks punching raise buttons on the 20-40 table, I'm talking about the low blind "mini" games like the 4-8 at UB. Way more fun. If you feel like watching but not playing, do view the 15-30 and up tables late on Friday nights when the vodka guzzlers take the stage and start yelling at each other. It is awesome!
Old 12-21-2003, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Do I have a problem ?

I did the same thing when starting out. I worked hard to build a good low limit online bankroll, took a big loss at 3-6, decided to play 10-20 5 max after never playing 10-20 or 5 max before. It was tilt. I got killt.

It appears that a lot of players have done this. So one time, I don't think its a problem, but a learning experience. Try not to do it again.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: moving too quickly

I moved up way too quickly when I first started playing again. I say again because I played successfully against my buddies in college (this derived from card sense and number theory beyond them, but not beyond most poker players). I had not spent enough time doing any "homework" when I started playing again at the 5-10 level where I was breaking even. The lack of "homework" cost me when I moved up to higher levels. Not to say that it took me long to figure out the deal, but I wasn't ready at first. Now I feel I can sit with just about anyone (to a point of course) and have made solid tournament showings as well. Anyone can tell me the cards are mindless and I know this BUT...the cards always seem to fall wrong when you are short stacked or playing against really tuff players.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 PM

Thanks to all who have responded and especially Dr. Al for sending me the info. I am happy to say that I am now up over 1200 in my Party account just from 2-4 and I am not going to go higher until I am ready.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Thought I'd add this story
Ive been a steady winner the past 2 years playing 6-12 live and lower limits online. about 4 monthes ago after a bad 6-12 live session i was down 2 racks $400.00 feeling horible I was about to leave and saw a 6 handed 20-40 game going. Ive never played that limit but sat down anyway and lost $600.00 there. The next day I took a shot at $15-30 which Ive never played before and lost $500.00. It was a shot but I feel this was the worst poker mistake Ive ever made. Lucky for me and some tournament wins Ive been able to grind those loses back at lower limits.