Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2001, 08:37 PM

Default Weak 1 and 2 gappers suited in blinds...

Hello everybody,

I want to ask the forum a question relating to a situation I find myself in frequently (I play a lot). I usually play 15-30 and 20-40 and hold my own winning more than losing. I am tight agressive in my play. I have read many poker/holdem books but here is a situation (IMO) has not been covered very well in most of them. It involves being suited in the blinds with weak 1 and 2 gappers. (hmmm, how do I ask this so it is easy for you to reply)

First let me define the type of hands I am referring to: (I will omit Ace-little suited as I will play that multiway for a SB call or one raise from my BB if pot is multiway)

I am referring to hands like 35s, 46s, 57s, 58s, 68s, 69s, 108s, 107s etc etc etc - you know what I mean (I hope).

What are the guidelines for calling with these hands?

[1] If in SB and there are many limpers and it is half the BB to call (I will automatically call if SB is 2/3 BB and no raise) should I call? How many limpers do I need?

[2] If in SB or BB with these types of hands and it is raised once from late position preflop with many limpers/callers so I anticipate a multiway pot what should I do? Again how many players seeing the flop do I need?

[3] What if it was 3 bet pre in a very loose game and many (5+) players call the 3 bet and you are in the SB or BB?

I have seen players (some very good players too) in the blinds call with these types of hands in multiway pots and win huge pots. They are easy hands to get away from if the flop doesnt connect but in terms of implied odds do these hands have +EV or -EV longterm?

Sorry, this has turned out to be a more complex question than I intended (too many questions/scenarios) but I hope you know where I am coming from. I am sure all regular players get these type of hands in the blinds often and I'd appreciate your views on how to play them.

I love this forum and the opportunity to pick the brains of some (obviously) good players.

Thanks again.

Rose