Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: why do i keep going out early? something wrong or unlucky?

It's the nature of the beast. The very large multi player touneys will have several "shot takers". Folks trying to double up now and fast.

You played KK fine and ran into a suckout. More often than not you will run into a painful suckout in these tourneys. The trick is to have enough chips to absorb the bad beats which means you will inflict some pain to others as well.

Whenever I have done well in one of these things (no limit) it is because I got off to a good start and could at least cover the stack(s) I was up against. In this same tourney ($20 stars monday) for example I knocked out a guy who had pocket AA with my pocket QQ but I had him covered 4 to 1. Bad beat for him? Sure! But that's what happens in these things. I got brutally knocked out myself at the last table. I'm in big blind with shortish stack (about 30K) and it's folded around the SB who has me covered about 3 to 1. He raised about 12K and I went all in with Ah Jh figuring it was a pure steal. He called and flipped up 9s 4s. Flop and turn were blanks but the river was a 9 and I was gone.

The key is getting into position to cover the other stacks because then the bad beats and suckouts won't end your day. Throughout the night I was involved in several all in confrontations in which I made some suckouts and got sucked out on. But the only one that hurt was the one I didn't have covered.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 AM

I think the only things I'd do differently would be to make a heftier pre-flop raise (maybe 250 or so)...and then bet the pot on the flop...which would be about 550-600 if the pre-flop raise was called. If he comes over the top there, you need to either go all-in or give him credit for two pair or a flopped set and get out (I'd go all-in). You need to be more aggressive in NL.

Otherwise, you played it fine, and there's not much you can do. Your opponent played badly pre-flop (but your mini-raise made his mistake less egregious) and badly thereafter. He tried to get cute with the flop raise (probably in part because your bets indicated weakness), and you should have popped him for the maximum at this point. This guy probably would not have folded for an extra 250 here, but if you're going to call his re-rearaise for your last 250 anyway, why not raise the full amount when you have the chance?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:35 PM

This post has turned into a bit of rambling, but has really helped my thought process...comments welcome.

1st - I'd raise 5x the BB to 120 (probably doesn't drive him out - but you are indicating more than just a "big ace" with this kind of raise.)

2nd I think I'd bet the pot at this point. In my scenerio I guess that be right around 300-400T depending on blinds and if SB completed hard to say. ANY way bet the flop strong.

3rd He raises you - Hmmm...Did he slow play a small pair or QQ. my guess is he would have re-raised your small raise pre-flop if he had QQ - so small pair seems more likely. 99 or 55. Either way I think you'd need to put him on a set right now (even though we know the end result that he was on a draw) Since you are now thinking he has a set - re-raising would be/is a risky proposition here. Probably best bet is to lay the hand down, unless you know that he plays draws in this fashion.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:16 AM

the only reason i disagree with automatically assuming he has a set is, and ive seen this alot of times.

preflop raiser bets the flop, if his headup oppenent has any draw/ any pair they are going to raise hefty especially with AQ, KQ, QJ, QT, A9, K9, T9. because they don't like to believe that the person who raised before the flop actually hit a flop, or hand is still good? no idea why probably just because they feel they get bullied so much, or everyone else is doing it?

anyhow the money is gone, and i got taken out again with a draw... KTs in BB.

flop K[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets T40 (stack at T700) starting chips T600.
I raise from 40 to 610.

He calls with A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

and wha la! no full house for me but guess who improves.

i kinda set myself up this time because probably 10 hands prior he bet with a paired flop and i put him allin and mucked my hand, told him i had 2 pair. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

oh well f me i guess im not a card player.