Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: $200+15

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy fold. Quick reasoning: 3 others in, PFR has you beat around half the time depending on his range, the other 2 may or may not have a jack, you'll have to bet 150+ chips to get anywhere and they won't fold 40% of the time combined.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no way you should do anything besides check-fold this (well, unless you see a turn nine, that'd be nice).
Old 07-18-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't make a steal/continuation bet if you limped...you missed your set so you gotta jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

more of a speculation bet.

David

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean more of a dark tunnel bet:

HOH2, p. 31:

"Many beginners and intermediate players find themselves making bets which aren't really bluffs, but aren't value bets either. They're just- bets. I call these "dark tunnel" bluffs. You don't know where you stand, you don't really know what you're doing, but it feels more active to bet than not, so you put more money in the pot. Eventually you've lost a big pot where you never really had much of a chance.

The cure for this syndrome is simple: stay out of dark tunnels. Always know why you are making a bet, and what you expect to gain. Every good bet should either give you a chance to win the pot right there, or provide you with information about your opponent's cards that you can act on through the rest of the hand".

Betting here would fulfill all the requirements of a Dark Tunnel bluff.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:19 PM

That seems like a smart excerpt somehow...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check and fold in this situation EVERY time. You were going for a set, missed, and now have nothing besides an underpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

here, he only calls AA-JJ (odds anyone?). Also if you win this pot it does not do bad things for table image ie. being dominant (I love to build a table image where people fear to steal off you later in the game).

Why is not a 3/4 pot bet not a bad thing, seeing as it does not cripple you.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 PM

But what does the bet DO. If he calls a 3/4 bet size you're screwed: you are basically pot committed in a hand you have to fold. If he reraises you you have to fold. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...

WTF??
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, you asked for it. Check/fold. You are really not that strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being strong has nothing to do with it. Whether you think the other person is strong or not; or whether you want to portray that yourself is strong has a lot to do with it as well.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does this need an explanation. it is an incredibly easy hand to play. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant get two quotes in as i am a n00b, so Holla to yourself and curtainz!

David
Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy fold. Quick reasoning: 3 others in, PFR has you beat around half the time depending on his range, the other 2 may or may not have a jack, you'll have to bet 150+ chips to get anywhere and they won't fold 40% of the time combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point i agree with it all except that 1 of those 3 has already shown weakness.

So with your 40% prediction i will win this pot 60% of the time?

David
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't make a steal/continuation bet if you limped...you missed your set so you gotta jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

more of a speculation bet.

David

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean more of a dark tunnel bet:

HOH2, p. 31:

"Many beginners and intermediate players find themselves making bets which aren't really bluffs, but aren't value bets either. They're just- bets. I call these "dark tunnel" bluffs. You don't know where you stand, you don't really know what you're doing, but it feels more active to bet than not, so you put more money in the pot. Eventually you've lost a big pot where you never really had much of a chance.

The cure for this syndrome is simple: stay out of dark tunnels. Always know why you are making a bet, and what you expect to gain. Every good bet should either give you a chance to win the pot right there, or provide you with information about your opponent's cards that you can act on through the rest of the hand".

Betting here would fulfill all the requirements of a Dark Tunnel bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read above there are a lot of reasons why i made this bet.

The bet which i make gives me a lot of information about the player who raised (it does not cripple me). I would not go over the top of a re raise! I want to know where I am at the moment, and re-iterating my point, if he/she does go over the top, i know where i am and i can fold.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what does the bet DO. If he calls a 3/4 bet size you're screwed: you are basically pot committed in a hand you have to fold. If he reraises you you have to fold. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...

WTF??

[/ QUOTE ]

not pot comitted