Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: I Banking - Lifestyle

Contrary to most rumors, a lot of managers and higher uppers in the finance world support having a life outside of the office. Getting married is definitely something that falls in that category.

But for money, I speak from experience and from other friends that first year or maybe even two years out, you will be broke. Very broke. NYC is in the top 5 most expensive cities to live in and w/a spouse who isn't working but instead spending money on tuitition, I think you'll find yourself cherishing the 15th and the 30th.
You may want to consider living in burrough outside Manhattan cuz the rent is siginificantly cheaper and their are neighborhoods w/a lot of personality/character.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: I Banking - Lifestyle

Married men are seldom discriminated against on Wall Street. (Married women are discriminated against in some organizations - but things are getting better.)

Are you in college or business school? Obviously, your starting income will be affected by your education level.

Are you paying your wife's tuition?

Assuming you get a descent signing bonus (or you have some money saved to help you get settled), you and your wife can probably get by on a starting salary of $40K to $50K (not counting tuition). Expect to pay $1500+ per month for a tiny appartment. Lots of young workers lower their housing cost by having roomates. Obviously, you will have a roomate who won't be contributing to the rent.