Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Help with new purchase

Let me start off by explaining to you that my PC knowledge is Extremly limited so any suggestions on what a need/should be purchasing are appreciated.

I have just started looking at the Dell desktops as I figuered this would be the best option on a limited budget $900 or less preferred and still feel I will have good customer support/reliable equipment. If I do go this route does anyone know if I am better off ordering right over the internet or can I do some bargining with a telephone rep.

Indented use will be for multi-tableing Poker and running varies PT type software (my existing 8 year old system just bogs down when trying to use PT). Other than that just Microsoft Office software (Hardrive/Memory requirements here). Of course I play around with other stuff but this is the bulk of it. The problem with multi-tableing (I think) is that a 1600x1200 res. monitor is going to blow my budget. Do I have any other options? I don't think any of the 1028x1024 monitors will handle 4 tables. I thought I could possibly run two monitors utilizing my existing CRT (I believe) monitor. I'm assuming I can only play two tables on a 17" flat screen. The two monitors would allow me to play at least four for now. Will I be able to run two monitors off any new PC (I believe this involves the video card??)or do I need to meet certain hardware/software requirements.

Virus protection. I will be using a cable internet connection. I see Dell offers Norton subscription updates. Is this necessary. I'm not sure of the differance between Firewall protection vs. a virus program.

Lastly, at least for now, the one thing none have been able to answer. How do I get all the old information/programs from my old PC into my new. Some I will have the original disks but others I will not. Is there one step software I can purchase to accomplish this. Also do I need to be concerned about tranferring over any virus/other type problems in this process.