Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Default All-in early with good, but not great, hand

Is this a chance worth taking?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

Button (t1495)
SB (t590)
Hero (t1220)
UTG (t1065)
MP1 (t2370)
MP2 (t810)
CO (t450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP1 calls t100, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (t350) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1090 (All-in)</font>, MP1 calls t290.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: All-in early with good, but not great, hand

Your flop bet showed strength b/c of the amount of players in there. His call is implausible with TT, but makes sense with a smaller 2 pair , or a set. AK is unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised to see KQ here.
There's a small chance he has AA also. Again, this is a nice flop to slowplay b/c it doesn't have any obvious draws on it.

I'd say you are in a good but not GREAT spot. In STTs, I tend to treat good and great spots pretty similarly just because the stacks are so shallow and the blinds go up so fast. You don't get too many shots.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 PM

sounds like either your hand is good or he has KT. man these free hands are tricky sometimes.

citanul
Old 03-19-2005, 11:13 PM

You're cooked when you get raised on the turn, I think. Muck. Once you're called on the flop I think you're better off with a check-call line. Or maybe check the turn, bet the river if he checks behind.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're cooked when you get raised on the turn, I think. Muck. Once you're called on the flop I think you're better off with a check-call line.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an opponent flat calls your 2/3 pot bet you go into passive mode?

At the 11s I fail to see a point I could get away from this hand. If I am playing against a TAG who understands how many draws just got to being real draws when the Td shows up I might be able to fold. Otherwise I go broke or 2x up.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're cooked when you get raised on the turn, I think. Muck. Once you're called on the flop I think you're better off with a check-call line.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an opponent flat calls your 2/3 pot bet you go into passive mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always, of course, but in this situation, yes. I don't feel comfortable playing the hand very agressively out of position after flop action that doesn't make me especially sure of being ahead. $11 players will almost always just call with a set on that flop, but will often raise with a King. I'm less worried about giving a free card to a 3-out hand than about walking into an ugly turn raise.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Well I'm not happy about the action, it does look like a crappy slowplay. But you will also be ahead much of the time here. As for before the villain's all in, I think it was played ok.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Yes, too likely you are ahead IMO.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're cooked when you get raised on the turn, I think. Muck. Once you're called on the flop I think you're better off with a check-call line. Or maybe check the turn, bet the river if he checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say I disagree. You have an absolute monster on the flop, and will be ahead of the caller a very very large % of the time in a lower (50 or under) buyin sit and go. Checking the turn with the intention of calling would be way too passive.