Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 AM

Default books for poker players who want to play black jack

i'm a reasonably good low-limit (5/10) poker player with a very solid win rate. I'm very good at math and want to learn how to play black jack. i've read like 15 books about poker so reading isn't something that i'm adverse to. could anyone suggest a book or sequence of books i could read in order to give myself a crash course.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: books for poker players who want to play black jack

I suggest reading through the book reviews section in Gambling theory and other topics, or the book recommendations section in gambling for a living. I'd give you some names of books, but I;m not qualified to do that. If you want some second hand info from me, ok fine.

Here goes. Professional Blackjack by Wong. Some book called Blackbelt in Blackjack. I think thats by Arnold Snyder, but I'm not sure. There's a new book out from Harper Collins by Kevin Blackwood called play blackjack like the pros. Wong gave it a thumbs up.

I fully expect other posters to have more useful information for you. If you want to, use the search function for my posts, and look for one called Play Blackjack like the pros. Its about the Blackwood book. I made that post a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:24 PM

I think you should just stay with poker. Can blackjack even be beaten anywhere anymore?

Indy
Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 PM

it is nice to use for a room comp
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 PM

- Million Dollar Blackjack
- Blackbelt in Blackjack
- Blackjack Attack
- Burning the Tables in Las Vegas

If you like math (little practical value):
- Theory of Blackjack

Learn hi-lo count
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

There are 2 basic elements of playing 21: basic strategy (BS) and card counting.

There is little if any controversy about correct basic strategy, and you can find all you need on the internet. If you are playing online, all you need is a BS chart next to your computer.

Counting cards can range from fairly simple to extremely complex. And it has zero value when playing online. Start with the standard books mentioned, or at bj21.com. Also visit the Other Gambling forum.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could anyone suggest a book or sequence of books i could read in order to give myself a crash course.

[/ QUOTE ]

My best recommendations would depend a bit on where you're likely to play and other variables, but in general I would recommend learning one of two count systems: The High-Low (specifically Wong's adaptation of it) or the KO system. If you use the KO, you need to get "Knock-Out Blackjack" by Vancura and Fuchs. If you go with Wong's system, the first book I'd get is "Blackjack Secrets" by Wong followed by "Professional Blackjack".

In either case, assuming you want more material than this, my top 4 supplemental book list includes:
Griffin, "Theory of Blackjack"
Wong, "Basic Blackjack"
Schlessinger, "Blackjack Attack"
Anderson, "Burning the Tables in Las Vegas"

Recommendations (pro and con) on other blackjack books can be found at:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...y-subject.html
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 PM

Counting at blackjack is a drag; you can make more money at poker with a lower variance and less aggravation. I'd just learn basic strategy and play for fun.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:26 AM

As long as you are not playing in a game using a CSM or where the payout is 6:5...you can beat it.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Million Dollar Blackjack
- Blackbelt in Blackjack
- Blackjack Attack
- Burning the Tables in Las Vegas

If you like math (little practical value):
- Theory of Blackjack

Learn hi-lo count

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the list of books but I would suggest learning the Red 7 count first. It is the easiest to learn with the least amount of variation in strategy. The Red 7 count can be found in Blackbelt in Blackjack. I'll warn you right now it took about 3 to 4 months of counting through 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 decks of cards...counting the cards 1,2, and 3 at a time...building speed and accurracy before I could EVEN look at a real blackjack table in action and practice counting live. Its hard work....not so much fun...and the swings are a killer...the risk of ruin is definitely more pronounced in BJ...
Definitely understand it theoretically before playing...Theory of BJ is absolute...Snyder and Wong's books are a must. Schlesinger and Uston are fundamental...
Study hard and be diligent about practice and you should do fine...it takes balls of steel sometime to make decision and to play correctly according to theory esp when you are down and feel stuck....remember this as well...its not as fun. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]