Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Induce a bluff

I'm playing shorthanded 4 people. I'm on the button with Qh5h. UTG calls, I call. both blinds check, and here is the flop

7h Qs 2d.

SB checks
BB checks
UTG checks
I CHECK!

Why did I check, you may ask, well here is why. The table is fairly tight, no one really puts a move on until they see what the flop action holds. Anyhow most of you will say well it is wrong to check in this spot because, you are giving a free card to the Ace or the King. No....I don't care, that's the gamble I'm willing to take. The Ace or the King isn't going to fall every time, and why would I be worried about an Ace or King falling, I may still have the best hand if either of them hit.

How do you feel about this flop check in order to induce more people to come into the hand and especially think that their bottom pair or middle pair is good if anything lower than a Queen hits on the turn?

Old 09-12-2002, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Induce a bluff

I don't like it....lets look at the possible mistakes involved here. When you bet, middle and bottom pair are likely to come along anyway possibly putting you on an A high position bet. They will be making the call when they should fold mistake. this is how you make a profit.

When you check, you make the mistake of checking when you should bet. You do this to entice your customers you say? you let them off cheap as well as giving them infinate odds to outdraw you. Don't forget about longshots like picking up a backdoor straght or flush draw or a 2 outer set hit...looks like you lose profits with this mistake.

Allan
Old 09-12-2002, 02:52 AM

Havent got much time to respond, but the main reason I see against checking is that I will always bet in this spot no matter what I hold when checked to. It's a very attractive board to bluf at. So my flop check would seem extremely suspicious.

I don't like your button open limp as well.

Regards

BTW If you check often behind in this kind of situations, then your flop check may very well be reasonable. But it simply isnt MY play.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:23 AM

Default I would bet out

I would bet out and attempt to win the pot right there. If you the flop gets checked, only a better hand will call your turn bet.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Mistake

Ignore that "I don't like your button open limp as well."

Didnt see UTG limped in.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:29 PM

Mikey,

when you said this "No....I don't care, that's the gamble I'm willing to take." no response you get will really matter anyway.

Jimbo
Old 09-13-2002, 10:34 AM

that's the gamble I'm willing to take

Isn't there enough gambling in poker for you already? Why introduce more? I would bet and hope everyone folds.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:40 PM

im generally a big fan of checking the flop with top pair but im not thrilled about it here because you are against 3 other players. you want to narrow the field if possible. also since it's 4 handed you should be betting often enough with weak hands, draws, and complete bluffs so a bet here will help disguise when you are betting with much less.

however, i think that it's close and i like that you are considering checks like this.

btw i dont really think this qualifies as inducing a bluff. youre just trying to induce action from lesser hands and confuse your opponents on this and future hands.