Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 12:24 AM

Default Dealing with gluey players.

That’s what I call “calling stations”, the ones that won’t get off a hand. I just don’t know what to do. I bet into them pre-flop and post and they won’t move. Then I end up feeding the pot and improving their odds to draw out.

I just made the move up from $.50/$1 to $1/$2 (woohoo) and it has made a big difference. I thought I couldn’t play full ring games until I moved up (ha-ha).

I have played 2 sessions at $1/$2 5-handed (owned one session, was the fish at the other). Then did 2 sessions at $1/$2 full and had some success, made up for the loss when I was the fish.

Bottom line, how do you deal with a table full of calling stations? Do you just wait for the monsters?
Old 10-07-2002, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Dealing with gluey players.

Clearly, at these types of tables you are going to have to show down a strong hand to win the pot.

The key to these games is patience - pure and simple. You can't get tricky here as it will only cost you money. 90% of your check-raising will come when you know it will get checked around to a LP bettor from the previous round and you can raise it here with the intention of clearing the field when you have a hand that wants to play with 2 or 3 and not the entire table.

You also have to learn to maximize your drawing hands. Hands like QJs, JTs, T9s, play well from any position in these types of games. Often times you will get the chance to limp in LP with Axs, Kxs, Qxs and other speculative hands like suited 1 or 2 gappers etc... The key with these games - if they are passive and not a lot of pre-flop raising - you'll get an opporuntity to see more flops BUT you have to play smarter post-flop then the other players if you are going to come out ahead at the end of your session. Don't become a calling station yourself in these games. When you are in the pot past the flop you either have a killer made hand or a great draw and you are pumping the pot. You will miss and pay off other trash hands but the key to these games is eventually you will make your hand and the rest of the players will pay you off. So, you'll see your stack rise and fall a little early in the game but after several hours with your nose to the grindstone you'll be taking it down.

In short, the key to winning in these games is opening up a little pre-flop - and this doesn't mean cold-calling what could be legitimate EP pre-flop raises - and outplaying the rest of the field post-flop.

Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2002, 03:48 AM

I bet into them pre-flop and post and they won't move. Then I end up feeding the pot and improving their odds to draw out.

Why is this absurd and illogical line of thinking so prevelent on this site? When you bet your hands, you are not improving your opponents odds to draw out on you. You are hurting their odds by forcing them to call your bets.

So, what should you do? Bet your damn hands and let them call you again and again when their underdogs against you.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:47 AM

"Bet your damn hands and let them call you again and again when their underdogs against you."

It is they're, not their. Your grammar is absurd and illogical.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:41 PM

Default You are joking, right? N.M.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:46 PM

Default Re: You are joking, right? N.M.

No, why would you think I am joking?
Old 10-07-2002, 03:54 PM

Default Re: You are joking, right? N.M.

I was just hoping to diffuse some of the tension that seems to have cropped up on this site. No harm intended, it just seems that what should be a poker forum is often a medium for people to placate their personal grudges. I was hoping to lighten up the mood, no ill will intended. Its none of my business.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:44 PM

Default picky no homer

Old 10-08-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Re: picky no homer

oyy...read the entire thread. It is simply an attempt at humor gone brutally wrong....
Old 10-07-2002, 01:33 PM

Why is this absurd and illogical line of thinking so prevelent on this site?

I guess I was thinking about pot odds and the “schooling effect”. I’m not yet a good enough player to take advantage of this situation. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]