Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Best (free) utility to remotely control my home desktop

I would like to be able to remotely control my desktop at home (including running programs, etc. on my home computer) from work.

What would you all recommend as the best utility (a free one, if possible) to do that.

I don't know if I can download and execute programs here on my work computer, so some kind of java based thingy would be good, but if not, that's fine too, as I have ways around that.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Best (free) utility to remotely control my home desktop

OK, $50 follow up Q (since I went to download.com and found that VNC was basiclaly exactly what I wanted):

There was a post a while ago on one of the douche-sacks who was spamming party tables with 'cheat-at-poker-see-your-opponents-cads' type material, and someone actually bought it and posted the entire contents of his "cheat-method" on the forum.

Anyway, turned out the whole thing was basically garbage and his "trick" to see your opponents' cards was to covertly get them to install VNC on their computer, and somehow hack it (i forget the logistics -- perhaps it was via a Trojan or something).

Anyway, now that I actually want to get and use VNC, it got me back to thinking about that cheaters' tactics, and made me start wondering whether operating VNC on my poker computer might be at all risky from a security standpoint. Am I opening up any doors that a hacker could exploit? Are there specific additional cautionary measures that I should take if I'm using VNC?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Yes, there are security risks. Don't run it unless you can limit access to it via a firewall. VNC has had several security vulnerabilities in the past.

If you're just planning on logging in from work, make sure your firewall only allows connections to VNC from the IP address range your work uses. If you wish to log in to your computer from "anywhere", I wouldn't recommend VNC without the use of a VPN of some sort.

I'm trying to not get too technical. Bottom line: Remotely accessing your computer from the same place, use a firewall and limit access. Want to come from a bunch of places, don't. Too many security risks and not worth losing your roll.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Well, I think you can start by changing the default port it uses. Then, make sure to choose a strong password. Oh, and don't use the Java viewer. Use the binary one.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there are security risks. Don't run it unless you can limit access to it via a firewall. VNC has had several security vulnerabilities in the past.

If you're just planning on logging in from work, make sure your firewall only allows connections to VNC from the IP address range your work uses. If you wish to log in to your computer from "anywhere", I wouldn't recommend VNC without the use of a VPN of some sort.

I'm trying to not get too technical. Bottom line: Remotely accessing your computer from the same place, use a firewall and limit access. Want to come from a bunch of places, don't. Too many security risks and not worth losing your roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a little bit of their Help section, and it seemed as though I could simply give the server VNC machine the exact IP address of the computer that I wanted to be able to give access to.
Is it really that simple? I.e. I want to bring my laptop to work and use it to access my home desktop. Can I somehow specify on my desktop: "hey, the ONLY machine i want to be able to access this is my laptop?"...or is the IP address you specify not the actual IP address of the COMPUTER, but actually the IP address of the ISP from which the remote computer will be connecting?
hope that made sense, i'm not all that tech-savvy.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Hi,

I have used logmein in the past. Easy to set up and got through my work firewall without a problem. Also the basic version is free.

Paul
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Yes, you can. I do this. The first trick is figuring out what address to give it. For instance, I want to give VNC access to my work machine. Well, if you're like most of us, your work machine is behind a firewall. The easiest way to check this (http://www.whatismyip.com/) several times. Make sure it is the same (bigger organizations, it might not be).

If it is, put that in your firewall rules (this will depend on your firewall, read your manual for the software/hardware). On my Dlink wireless router/firewall, I can limit by IP. Once you get this set up. TEST IT by accessing from a different machine (ideal) or by changing the "limit to" IP address to something different (it shouldn't work now).

If you really want to dive into some technical stuff, it is possibly to run VNC encyrpted via SSH (this is all free), but if you are non-technical, I would just opt for a commerical, encyrptyed version of VNC available for purchase for $30 here: http://www.realvnc.com/products/personal/

That said, I have just used the firewall limit to IP method for a long time and haven't worried. If I had thousands of dollars in my poker/netteller accounts like some do, I would invest $30 for my piece of mind. I maily have this so I can help my wife remotely on the computer if she is hving an issue during the day.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM

If you are running Windows XP Pro, you can use Remote Desktop. Port forward TCP 3389 through your firewall and enable remote desktop. Then from any windows machine use MSTSC to connect to your computer and use it. If security is a major concern, setup a VPN tunnel and then connect through it. There is no need for any other 3-rd party program IMO.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:27 AM

Its probably worth noting that if you plan to make this connection to your home PC using your corporate network, that your activities may be monitored & logged.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its probably worth noting that if you plan to make this connection to your home PC using your corporate network, that your activities may be monitored & logged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most certainly.