Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Going pro Article

i totally agree that the potential to play so many hands is very compelling.
i just think that 5-10 would be the minimum size to play inorder to make 50k a year or more.
playing 6 tables for 3 hours a day seems tough to me, for for others it may be no big deal.
All types of theoretical formulas can be conceived to show profit potential.
my personal suggestion to players would be to start at the lower limits(before leaving your day job)and build your bankroll so you can play the 10-20, 15-30 online games.
The internet really affords the opportunity for someone to
play equal amounts to a B&M player without leaving your job.
There is no reason a person couldnt play for 6 months online before leaving their job, to determine if they can beat the games, and more,to see if they really enjoy this style of gaming. You can multi table three tables of 3-6 or 5-10 for 2 hours a day and be playing more hands than a full time B&M pro, so why not start safely??
good luck
Old 06-29-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

playing 6 tables for 3 hours a day seems tough to me, for for others it may be no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. What applies to you does not apply to everyone else. YOU may not be able to play more than 3 tables of 6-max, but there are many 8-tabling it. YOU may not be making 50k a year from 3/6, but there are MANY making MORE.

Here's the math, assuming a 2bb/100 win rate (very realistic) and only 4 tables:
60 hands per hour 1-tabling
60*4 = 240 hands per hour 4-tabling
2bb/100 = 4.8bb/hour
4.8*6/hour = $28.80 per hour

Play 2000 hours a week (40 hours/week for 50 weeks) and that's a $57,600 income. Note that this is "only" 4-tabling and BEFORE rakeback and bonuses.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I can safely say that for example; you should not multi-table more than 2-3 games of 6 maxx

[/ QUOTE ]

You’re kidding, right?

It is easy and simple to make $50k a year playing $3-6.

Play 4 tables of $3-6, playing 6 hours per day 5 days per week, making 1.5BB/hr x 48 weeks a year, so 4x6x6x5x1.5x48 = $51.8k/year

30/hrs a week with a month’s vacation tossed in assuming only a 1.5BB win rate is certainly do-able for a winning player.

Just because you can’t play 3 tables shorthanded doesn’t mean other can’t. There are quite a few posters here who can play 6, 8 or even 12 tables effectively.

You’d be much better off trying to learn from those who can do it, rather than adamantly deny reality.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 PM

I remember that thread. And I also remember Ed telling you that he never claimed it was "easy" but that it was "no big deal."

You have a problem with the semantics, brotha.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 PM

i know the math... i think 6 hours a day isnt realistic multi-tabling 4 tables. thats all. i know there are some who are doing it, and of course everyone who is is making money right?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 PM

the text says its no big deal and david said it was easy.
if you can play 5-8 hours a day 4-tables then, you are right, its no big deal. I think its very hard to maintain that type of pace, and also very un-neccesary.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: where are they????

Okay, dont believe me ,go to wherever you play online, look at the 3-6 games or 5-10 games. go down the lists and make notes of the players and see how many players are playing over 3 tables.
I play at Party where something like 30k players are playing everyday. is that a good enough sample size.
on a typical day i have found 4 or 5 players playing 3 tables, and as many as 12-15 playing 2 tables. i guess all those hotshots who are playing 6-8 tables all play somewhere else. Oh, but wait, ... when I read the posts they refer to party poker constantly. i guess they know when i am coming to the sight, which is at very different times of day, but they know, and they waIT TILL IM GONE AND THEN PLAY.. Come-on,..... very very very few are doing it and making money, wherever they are.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess all those hotshots who are playing 6-8 tables all play somewhere else. Oh, but wait, ... when I read the posts they refer to party poker constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the fact that each Party skin only allows a player to open up to four tables might have something to do with the fact that you can never find anyone playing more than that. Obviously anyone playing 6-8 tables is using more than one screen name at a time.

I often play four full tables for six hours in one day. My goal is 30 hours a week, and I prefer to meet this by playing a little every day. A typical week would be 3 days for 6 hours and 4 days for 3 hours. If I have to take days off, I add more 6 hour days to make up for it.

My 6 hour days consist of 3 hours of play, about 3 hours of break time (usually be making and eating dinner, and watching a movie), followed by another 3 hours of play. This takes no more time than the typical commuting to and from work for an 8 hour shift.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:49 PM

do you feel the pace is no problem, and that you could play this way for a few years, or do you see it as temporary until you can move up?
Also how long have you been playing?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:22 AM

What do you mean it's not realistic? There are players here who play 40hrs a week - 52weeks a year.

Of course you can't make 50k+ working 3hrs a day / 15hrs a week. I'm sorry to be rude but this is so childish to expect. Poker is a job. It's not a vacation. There are plenty of people who play 8hrs a day. If you want to play 1/3 the hours you need to play 3x the stakes, it's that simple. Good luck in the 10/20.

P.S. If your point is you can't play your A+ game for 8hrs a day you're right. But you can certainly play your B+ game.