Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Help an investing noob invest 50k

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is really long term..
Diamonds and other precious gems. Alrealy it is becoming more and more dificult to extract them from mother Earth. In 20 or 30 years most mines will be depleted...
Property on the coastline of India. India is becoming more and more wealthy, and those people also like to go to the beaches. The price of property is still really low (about 1 dollar for a square yard).

[/ QUOTE ]

Diamonds are quite possibly the worst possible investment out there. One needs only understand the history behind DeBeers and the Central Selling Organization to understand how completely artificial the diamond market is. With the possibly exception of colored diamonds and large, flawless stones, diamonds as an investment are a joke. Buy them for love, for romance, but never as an investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there was a link to an excellent site detailing the history of debeers and the CSO on here a few months ago (I can't find it currently). An incredible story about controlling the market.
Diamonds have minimal resale value. Buy a new car and stick it in your garage for a decade, you'll get a better ROI.

For everyone saying buy real estate. It has it's downsides - poor liquidity, property taxes, the U.S. is in the midst of a bubble...
Old 08-08-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the U.S. is in the midst of a bubble...

[/ QUOTE ]

This concerns house value much more than the property value.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:20 PM

No, it's property value. Houses pretty much cost the same to build no matter what the location. (More or less. Don't get technical on me.) It's the location they're built, the land they're on, that has skyrocketed in value.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 PM

If i'm not mistaken aren't housing costs going up like crazy? Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't that why many of the home building stocks have also risen early this year.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you are young, it's up to you how risky you want to be. My sister is about your same age, came upon 48K due to medical settlement and I invested the following fairly conservative way:

1/3 into a high yielding divy play that I have (Novastar Financial)
1/3 into Vanguard GNMA fund (VFIIX) invests in AAA rated Gov't debt. Pays around 4.5%. Pays monthly
1/6 into Price Water House Cooper growth fund (PRWCX)
1/6 into a growth funds with fewer restrictions (NTHEX)

In your case I would do this:

Option 1.

Get a house. It might be tough to get a prime mortgage rate, but I still think its by far the best investment.

Option 2 (Risky)
Spread your money throughout equity funds focused on high return/growth including high yeild bond funds, tech/growth funds and emerging market funds

Option 3 (safe)
Spread your money in funds mixed evenly between bond funds, i bond funds, total market funds, perhaps a REIT or a REIT fund, and whatever else you want.

Just my 2cents.

Claude

[/ QUOTE ]
IF you are going to invest in mutual funds i really have to disagree with claudes post. Dont over diversify... Look for a good Growth fund.... Growth funds outperform all the other funds in the long run.

Oh yeah...and buy the Oneil book. Try to go to his free seminars. Best book out there.