Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Nomar Who?

Orlando Cabrera just back after visiting his sick wife in Columbia hits a dramatic 12th Inning walk off Home run. As the late great Ned Martin used to say, "Mercy".
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Nomar Who?

I didn't know Ned Martin was dead. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Ned Martin was dead. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, the Red Sox long time broadcaster passed away last year.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 PM

Nomar who hit .372 and has a .323 lifetime batting average and scored 100 runs six times.

If they had been successful in getting rid of Ramirez, would you have said "Manny who?"

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nomar who hit .372

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved that guy, but he's not around anymore. He has never been the same since he hurt his wrist a few years ago, and since then he's had other injury problems--the achilles, hamstring, etc.

Several teams had Nomar rated as the worst defensive shortstop in baseball this season. Obviously injuries have a lot to do with that, but you can see how far he has fallen.

I hated the Nomar trade at the team--it didn't seem the Sox got anywhere near equivalent value--but Cabrera plays every game, is great defensively, contributes offensively and has a great attitude, something which was sorely lacking from Nomar this year. Both Nomar and Cabrera are free agents at the end of the season--it will be interesting to see who gets the bigger contract...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 PM

Good points, as usual.

One certainly can't argue with the success of the Red Sox since the trade. No doubt they would have turned it around somewhat without the trade, they were just playing too badly for too long, but certainly the team is fielding much better and hasn't missed Nomar's bat; they still lead the league in runs scored. The few games I saw him play I felt Nomar's fielding, adequate in any event, had indeed deteriorated.

I note that Torre let El Duque go deep into the 7th last night despite having thrown 106 pitches through 6. Almost like he was experimenting to see what El Duque had left in the tank (which was nothing). And no Quantrill or Gordon: Heredia and Sturtze. Heredia is a waste of time; I know you want one lefty in the pen, but he's worse than terrible.
The Yankees may feature a post-season roster without a left-handed pitcher. Sturtze has cojones, it seems.

BTW, the kid named League (great name) for Toronto has some amazing stuff. He was throwing 98 mph last night.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the kid named League (great name) for Toronto has some amazing stuff. He was throwing 98 mph last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, my good friend J.P. Ricciardi(Toronto GM) has some more good prospects down on the farm to turn that franchise around. We go way back as his father played shortstop for my father's State Champion fast pitch softball teams and we played together on several City league basketball and football teams. He's a great guy and has a tough job with a small market team.

P.S. I know. I'm a terrible name dropper.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Nomar is hitting .280 with 2 doubles and 0 RBIs in the month of September. Ironically, this is, at least BA-wise, better than he performed last September.

Cabrera looks like he wants to play when he takes the field. Nomar looked like he was en route to gum surgery when he took the field this year. Curt Schilling has been pretty open about how much better the clubhouse has been since 7/31/04.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:04 AM

Don't bother me; I'm trying to watch the Dodgers to see if they can give up all of their seven run lead in the fifth inning.

My poor dad. He's been a Dodger fan for 75 years. Tuesday he had angioplasty and today he had a pacemaker installed. I just left him at the hospital (he's OK, coming home tomorrow) with instructions for the nurse to not let him watch.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't bother me; I'm trying to watch the Dodgers to see if they can give up all of their seven run lead in the fifth inning.

My poor dad. He's been a Dodger fan for 75 years. Tuesday he had angioplasty and today he had a pacemaker installed. I just left him at the hospital (he's OK, coming home tomorrow) with instructions for the nurse to not let him watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

My father will be 85 in November which means he was born in 1919. I don't think I have to point out the significance of that date. He also doesn't have a great ticker, having had triple by-pass surgery when he was 56 and quadruple again when he was 79.

Hope he wasn't watching last night when Francoma brought in B.K. (bleeping) Kim in the 9th. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]