Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 02:02 PM

Default A Canadian apology to the U.S.

Below wgb posted a statement that Bush should have been more grateful to Canada in his speech. Bush specifically named a dozen or so countries and yet forgot to mention Canada.

When I was listening to the speech I had the same thoughts as wgb did. However, I have recently learned that our Prime Minister Jean Chretien was too "busy" to go the Washington to be at the speech. Also Chretien will go to Washington next week but he can't make it to New York because he has a Liberal fundraiser he has to go to.

Tony Blair had time for a 5 hour plan ride to go to Washington and he and his wife both went to ground zero to boost the moral of searchers. France is probably the most anti-U.S. country in Western Europe and yet their President was the first leader to visit the site. Chretien has a one hour flight to Washington or New York and he can't find the time until next week... an absolute disgrace!

As a Canadian I am embarrassed by the actions of our "leader". I hope this doesn't need to be said, but I hope most Americans realize that the insensitive actions of our leader is not indicative of the actions of most Canadians. I like many Canadians am very patriotic and we often show our patriotism by bashing the U.S. However, when push comes to shove our citizens are more similar and more friendly than probably any other two countries in the world. In Vancouver there were over 6,000 Americans stranded here because their plane had to be diverted to Vancouver. There were requests for people to open their homes and within a couple of hours we were told not to phone in because there were too many people who offered help.

Our Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley has said that he didn't think it was necessary for Chretien to go earlier because the U.S assumes we support them. Obvioulsy I think both countries sometimes take each other for granted. Family members often take each other for granted as well, however, when a family member or good friend is sick or hurting you don't assume he knows you are there for him. You go to him and tell him you are there. Chretien should be ashamed and he does not speak for the majority of Canadians.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:05 PM

Default Re: A Canadian apology to the U.S.

Don't worry, it will all be over soon. Hold on, we're coming!
Old 09-21-2001, 03:19 PM

I'd hope that the USA, like Canada, is now conditioned to expect buffoonish behaviour from Chretien.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:23 PM

I don't know anything about Chretien's schedule or whether he was in fact even invited to attend Bush's address to Congress (wasn't Blair the only leader present?), but I do know that Chretien has been very vocal in his support of the US throughout this tragedy. As he stated on the lawn of Parliament Hill on September 14 before 100,000 mourners:

"We will be with the United States every step of the way, as friends, as neighbors, as family."

I don't see how he could express a clearer indication of solidarity and support for the US.

Old 09-21-2001, 06:19 PM

How about by taking an hour out of his fund raising schedule to shake the hands of firefighters?
Old 09-21-2001, 06:27 PM

"Our Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley has said that he didn't think it was necessary for Chretien to go earlier because the U.S. assumes we support them."

No doubt the U.S. does correctly assume that we have Canadian support. Likewise, Canada may correctly assume that the U.S. thanks them for this support.

Old 09-21-2001, 06:33 PM

This is NOT meant as a slam at Canada, the Canadian people or even the Canadian government.

The first time I encountered Mr. Chretien, I'd just awakened from a nap in the midst of a case of the killer-death-flu-from-hell. The TV was on with a tight close-up of Mr. Chretien and the first thought that went through my mind was that a commedian was doing a very bad impression of the Warner Brother's cartoon character, Jaques Shellaque... sigh...

Jeff
Old 09-21-2001, 09:15 PM

It's not a slam.... it's far to close to the turth
Old 09-22-2001, 11:02 PM

I also believe that it was an enormous insult for Chretien to have been "too busy" to take a one hour flight. We all knw what assume does, it makes an ass out of you and me.

Mary